77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The best logging Truck???

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I guess anger is the wrong emoji..

😖   Absolute frustration is more like it.

"It's yours if you want it. It's not going anywhere."
Seven hours later, poof, it's gone.
You have my number.
Call me and tell me it's a race for who comes first, with the cash!
At least, call and tell me you've sold it.  đŸ™„
Yeah, people don't care Jim, you know that.

Okay, trailer wiring questions....

My silverado has a 7 way plug from factory. Do I already have what I need at the hitch to control electric brakes? I do need to rewire the trailer with a 7way harness. Its got a 4 way, and the running light function isn't working, but brake lights and blinkers are working.

There is a 12-volt lead in the 7-way that I can use to charge a 12volt aux battery mounted to the trailer. That can control the winch. Do the e-brakes use that battery, or do they run of a dedicated circuit from the 7 way plug?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Strip all the wiring off the trailer and start fresh when you get the axles installed.
Use good connectors, and pack all sockets with dielectric silicone.
Gary & I have some discussion up in Tips & Techniques.
The Scatch has a lot of experience as well.  (Shame that his thread got ruined. ☚ī¸)

Brakes are powered by the battery and triggered through the connector.
Gary can help you there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Jim - That stinks!

Ray - I don't know about brands of electric brakes.  I just bought mine from the local trailer supply store.  But I see on Amazon that there are lots of kits that come with the bearings, so that would kill both birds with one stone.

As for wiring the auxiliary battery, the 1985 EVTM's Charge & Power Distribution - Gasoline Engines section shows the auxiliary battery relay on Page 15 and the battery itself on Page 20.  But, I like the Cole Hersee Smart Battery Isolator better than just a dumb relay.

The difference is that the Ford wiring will parallel the batteries when you turn the key to On.  But that can be problematic if you frequently drain one battery.  Let's say you pull the battery on the trailer way down and then start the truck.  Now the main battery is both trying to charge the trailer battery as well as start the truck at the same time.  But the Cole Hersee isolator doesn't parallel the batteries until one or the other of them has been charged to something like 13.2 volts, and will disconnect the batteries if they get below something like 12.7 volts so you don't drain the main battery.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You will need the 7-way wiring for the trailer.  And Jim is right - strip the old wiring and install a new harness.  It'll be less expensive and a whole lot easier.

But the e-brakes don't use the trailer battery.  There's a separate little battery that is designed to charge quickly when the trailer is connected, and only provides power to the brakes in the event of a breakaway.  Otherwise the tow vehicle's trailer brake circuit supplies power to the brakes.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I am trying to find a 7-way wire harness long enough for my trailer. The longest I see is 10'. That won't get all the way back to the brake lights. Maybe I am missing something. You would think you could buy a 16' car trailer wire harness.....but maybe that makes too much sense??
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I'm thinking maybe to get one of the shorter 7-way harnesses with the Junction box. Mount the junction box near the tongue. Inspect the existing wires and route them into the box. That would make quick work of it. Then I would have the terminals for the e-brakes and a 12vdc in that box. I can trickle charge the remote winch battery from the 12vdc and ground terminals. Then directly hook the winch up to the battery posts. 1 wire from junction box to the e-brakes.

Does this sound about right?

Come to think of it, I think I have a nice sealed stainless Steel junction box in the garage. I think it is 8" x 8" or maybe 10" x 10". I think its a nice Hammond enclosure.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Found a 14' long harness, and has a 21' option. This might be the one to get.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1553093106013108467?q=7-way+trailer+harness&prds=opd:15906748787837908406&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju6LXy-NDlAhWEiOAKHYGfBiUQhC0IIygB

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - The one in your link is just to go from the truck to the junction box.  Then you need wiring to go down each side of the trailer.  (Yes, you can cross over, but I don't like doing that as it is a pain.)

But a junction box is the way to go.  You'll also need the breakaway switch and battery.  I would have thought you could find a kit, but I've not looked.  As said, I just went down to the trailer shop and bought the bits and pieces.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Ray Cecil wrote
....  That being said, is there a better ford diesel? I've seen I think 6.9 and 7.3's. Some have been turbos, and some have been non turbos. Should I be looking for one or the other?
People love the non-turbo 6.9 and 7.3 IDI diesels (up to '93) the same way and for the same reasons people love 300 sixes:  simple, efficient and reliable, even if they are bog slow.  You can add aftermarket turbos to them, but I've heard that you just can't get very good performance out of them even like that.  Still, they have a great following.

Jumping from there to the PowerStroke 7.3L DI turbo diesel ('94 on)...  Again, a lot of people love these.  Tons of torque, last forever.  One potential downside is that they are computer controlled.  That doesn't mean they are unreliable, or even all that complicated.  But they are more complicated than the completely mechanical engines.  And for what it's worth, at least the one in my '02 F-350 got pretty poor mileage (around 13 mpg, and with the higher cost of diesel fuel that puts the fuel cost very close to my 460).

In between those two families are the unicorns that seem the most desirable.  Navistar built a 7.3L IDI turbo for a while, and Ford installed it in pickups in early '94.  That's as simple as the older engines and makes close to the same power as the more complicated PowerStroke.  But it was only used for half a year.  I've heard that it was used in medium-duty trucks for a while after that, but take that for what it's worth.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree with Nothing Special, I had an 88 F250 with the 7.3.

I had to go through the glow plug system, glow plugs, connecters, junction block and so on, and got her starting good.

Also with the factory block heater, I used an appliance timer and had it come on two hours before I left for work.

It would not rocket up a hill with a load by no means, but pulled good. I hauled an older (i.e. heavy) 35 foot conventional travel trailer over two passes. First pass I dropped into 4th and it held at 1800 RPM. 1800 seemed to be the magic number, if it stayed at or above I didn’t downshift.

Second pass was steeper, dropped to 4th and wouldn’t hold at 1800, dropped to 3rd and she held at 1800. Felt like she would do it all day with no complaint.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/762763157483659/

Only $3300????

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Well, tonight for the trailer I bought the harbor frieght 3500lb winch, chains, wratchet straps, snatch blocks then picked up some stuff at lowes to continue on the garage build.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Seems a bit high to me for a Chevy.  

But the winch and accessories should work out well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
Seems a bit high to me for a Chevy.  

But the winch and accessories should work out well.  
Okay Gary, here is a Ford....what do ya think?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1339952016162922/

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For that price you can't get hurt too badly.  And, you can swap a Bullnose front clip on it.  

The F450 probably has 4.10 gears, and with the 7.3L could tow about anything.  Or, haul whatever you can get on the flatbed.  But, is the flatbed long enough?  And how would you get the logs up on it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Ray, What size of axles are on your trailer? I would guess 3500lb or smaller.  Some trailer manufactures use axle that don't have the four bolt flange out by the wheel hub to save money. You will need to look and see if your axles have them. Next you need to know what your wheel bolt pattern is to get the correct hub. NON Brake Trailers only have a hub no brake hub. So you will have to get 4 new wheel hubs of the correct bolt pattern for wheels. Here are some Oreilly's keep.
https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=EB01-100&vid=14560&uuid=

https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=EB01-105&vid=14560&uuid=

https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=HD84546BX&vid=14560&uuid=

These are for the common 3500lb axle. Just be sure to check wheel bolt pattern because my 16 foot trailer uses a bigger 5 on 5 pattern.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ray, here's one for you in Indiana. It has the rare cab corner delete option!

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/south-bend-dump-truck/7008639720.html
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, it's a 450. If it wasn't a diesel I'd say it has 5.56:1 rear.

Remember, 450's have (oddball) ten lug wheels.

The six new tires and brakes alone are worth $1,200.

If you buy it, keep in mind the driveline.
Diesel + Zf-5, means DMF or rattly mainshaft pocket bearings.

450 should have the massive solid beam drop axle up front.
Keep the kingpins greased and you should never have wear or alignment problems.

This one's early enough that it will have drum rears, so no parking brake on a 4x4 tailshaft.

Hydroboost? Na, stupid vacuum pump.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Are you from Aridzona or something????  

Cab corner delete comes stock on most vehicles sold in rustbelt states.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
Bruce moose4x4 wrote
Ray, What size of axles are on your trailer? I would guess 3500lb or smaller.  Some trailer manufactures use axle that don't have the four bolt flange out by the wheel hub to save money. You will need to look and see if your axles have them. Next you need to know what your wheel bolt pattern is to get the correct hub. NON Brake Trailers only have a hub no brake hub. So you will have to get 4 new wheel hubs of the correct bolt pattern for wheels. Here are some Oreilly's keep.
https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=EB01-100&vid=14560&uuid=

https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=EB01-105&vid=14560&uuid=

https://rwd.firstcallonline.com/FirstCallOnline/product/details.html?po=DIRECT&pod=SEARCH_RESULTS_PART_TYPE&mfg=BB&partNumber=HD84546BX&vid=14560&uuid=

These are for the common 3500lb axle. Just be sure to check wheel bolt pattern because my 16 foot trailer uses a bigger 5 on 5 pattern.
All these links don't work Bruce. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't got that far yet. I am going to worry about the winch setup, and practice rolling some logs on and off the trailer.

I will use the silverado for awhile. But if I find I need a better tow vehicle, at least I am getting educated on the F250 and up trucks. I really know very little about the heavy duty trucks. So this thread is a good mix match of knowledge.