The Lost Art of Choke Adjustment (Article)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Lost Art of Choke Adjustment (Article)

LARIAT 85
I saved this article years ago, and just found it again on my PC.  It is a great article to read if you have a carburetor and are wondering how to properly set the choke:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-lost-art-of-choke-adjustment

Approximately 25 years ago, when electronic fuel injection started showing up on new cars, one of its selling points was the elimination of cold-start issues blamed on the carburetor. That mindset always confused me: All of my carburetor-equipped vehicles started and ran flawlessly, regardless of the weather or ambient temperature. But there was a caveat attached to that reliability: The choke had to be adjusted properly, and the manufacturers never pointed this out when talking about EFI versus carburetion. In its rush to move to EFI, the auto industry was throwing the faithful carburetor under the tires of the proverbial bus, and for no good reason.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Lost Art of Choke Adjustment (Article)

81-F150-Explorer
Good article.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is a good article.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Good article each carbed vehicle owner should read.
Personally, I learned the basics when completing my pilot license with the Air Cadets (long time ago), but Cessnas and Pipers had manual "carb heat" and "mixture lean/rich".
And my Renault 5 had manual choke.

If only to understand the bimetallic coil spring, this article made me a bit more intelligent.

Rick, thanks for sharing it!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.