2311 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 116
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A range of 500 miles would have worked for the most recent trip, and probably would have for the one a few years ago to the back-of-beyond in Colorado.  However the re-charging strategy would have to have been developed before leaving as we went from here to Raton NM, which is 515 miles by the shortest route and we didn't go exactly that way.  So we would have had to re-charge in Woodward along the way.

So if an electric vehicle with a 500 mile range was comparably priced and a reasonable infrastructure was in place we would consider it if we were in the market for a new vehicle - which we aren't and don't plan to be for many years, if ever.

But renting adds significant cost to a vacation.  So the only way that math works is if the cost of ownership, including fuel and maintenance, of the EV is sufficiently lower than that of the ICE to cover the difference.  I've not put finger to keyboard to figure that out, but it might be possible.

However, we may be mixing terminology.  I said "unplanned" and you said "planned".  My meaning was that we planned to go but weren't exactly sure where.  In the latest trip we knew were were leaving on a given day and had no reservations until the next night in New Orleans.  But we wanted to travel the back roads through SE OK and into LA.  Then, along the way we decided to head for Monroe and go to Natchez the next day and from there to New Orleans.  And with this scenario an EV currently doesn't work.  But renting an ICE would.  Is that what you meant?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It is.

Cost of ownership is well addressed by lack of ongoing maintenance and the much smaller cost per mile over gasoline.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Electric cars = NO VROOM VROOM. I dont care how fast it is, if it doesnt make me feel like a million bucks, I dont spend money on it.

I totally understand the utility. I dont drive for utility. I drive for enjoyment. Electric jelly beans dont make sense for ME. I need toxic fumes, stinky grease, and parts to replace. Its just in my soul I guess.

I will appreciate the tech, but I dont have to pay for it.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
TheScatch wrote
"Recent breakthroughs in chemistry and physics have made the creation of hydrogen with electrolysis very economical and greenhouse gas free."
Absolute BS.

When the laws of thermodynamics are broken, you let me know.  

We'll all be flying around like the Jetsons, and nobody will need hydrogen as a combustible fuel.

what if your powering those coils creating the hydrogen with solar power?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray Cecil wrote
I will appreciate the tech, but I dont have to pay for it.
That's why building a new vehicle these days is annoying. I know what I want in a truck, so don't tell me I have to delete this to get that, or add this package to get this specific option. I want a bare bones truck with a few extra options that suit my needs, not what Ford or Dodge thinks I need.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Where is the "recent breakthroughs in chemistry and physics"

Selenium solar cells have been around since the 1800's.
Electrolysis longer than that.
Water hasn't changed in billions of years.

Nothing in that sentence is true, unless you're buying into some of Kellyann's 'Alternative Truths'....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun,
I agree with you 100%>

Truth is Dodge or Ford often won't put in the harness for Z unless you get X and Y as well.

Stripes, trim, mirrors, whatever.. they want to profit on the bling that accompanies the functional part, and they're not going to hear your pleas through the dealer network that profits from it too.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Nope, and that's why I'm building a thirty year old F350 so that I can put harness X with harness Y and get package B without having to also add package C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
That's why building a new vehicle these days is annoying. I know what I want in a truck, so don't tell me I have to delete this to get that, or add this package to get this specific option. I want a bare bones truck with a few extra options that suit my needs, not what Ford or Dodge thinks I need.
Amen to that.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I wish I could drive for enjoyment.

Instead I battle traffic and run all over trying to expedite and manage jobs.
It's what I have to do... and I hate it.  

My days of having toys and time to drag them to tracks (and the downfall of ANY tracks near me) has left the enjoyment of four wheel drifts, banging gears at the limiter, and occasionally whoopsie! is far behind me.

ETA: of course a modern Hyundai Elantra could kick my '85 5.0 GT into the weeds, but it is a LOT more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .

The glycerol-niobium fuel cell is interesting technology.
Butanol from biodiesel waste was always a good gasoline substitute.
But now, being able to use it* to directly produce electricity could be epic.
I guess the issue would be viscosity in freezing temperatures.

*it being the glycerin that is basically a waste product from bio oil and soap production
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If we want to get back to the cybertruck.
My opinion is anything with four doors and a four foot bed (like a Ridgeline) is a car with no trunk lid, not a truck at all.
'70's Lincoln's and Caddies fit right in here.

50x60 minimum floor space IMHO.
(So as to not alienate the Shortbed and Flareside owners)

And I'm not shilling for Tesla.
I just think they have the spotlight and are at the forefront of EV's today.
So it's easy to hold them up and say "look at this"
I don't like their attitude towards right to repair, nor their data gathering.
I do appreciate that they own "our product is not perfect" and are forthcoming with the data when one of their vehicles is involved in a publicized accident.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, back to the cybertruck.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
You guys may have seen this before, but it popped up in my Google searches for other stuff. Kinda neat.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Neat!  But, why explain about the new, lighter, etc trucks on the 2nd year?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
You realize that plant (a) opened when the Model T was in production and (b) had the best quality record of any Ford assembly plant in the US. An N in the plant code was a selling point. Unfortunately neither super cab nor crew cabs were built there. I wanted to order a 1994 F250 HD with a diesel in a super cab but could not get it built in Norfolk.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Neat!  But, why explain about the new, lighter, etc trucks on the 2nd year?
That's a good question! Impressive though that they were building 480 of them a day.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, one a minute for eight hours, or one every four minutes, 24 hours a day?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
If you listen to the coverage, Ford was thinking of closing Norfolk Assembly after the 1979 model year. The decision to keep it open was probably partially due to the union. After the decision was made, the plant had to be retooled for the different frame configuration, body parts etc. Remember there was a major body and frame change from 1979-1980. The 1979 frame wasn't that far removed from the 1965 Twin I-beam frame, the 1980, steering box was moved, engine moved back and down, dash was plastic instead of steel, inner fenders plastic etc.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

1 ... 24252627282930 ... 116