Thar she blows! (HVAC blower night & day.)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thar she blows! (HVAC blower night & day.)

BullnoseLuvr
kramttocs wrote
Apologies if that came across the wrong way. That thread just has the diagrams in it and discussion to go with.
The voltage test (Gary can confirm/deny this is where he measured his drop) should be done at the blower motor connector C603 connecting the positive wire there with the battery ground. That's as close as you can get to the motor as well as the most logical place (both in effectiveness and accessibility) to insert the relay.
Is that what you are asking?
NP.  And yep exactly.  It would make sense to get the voltage drop in whatever is determined to be the origin of the hot side of the HVAC wiring (which could be debatable I suppose, but apples to apples it wouldn't really matter in determining the improvement of the relay mod) and not all the way back to the battery.  But I'm still curious.  I'm only getting about 10 volts at the backup lights which is keeping me up at night.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Unfortunately I don't have an anemometer,(or an evaporator, for that matter) but it would be easy enough to bypass the relays to get a sense of how much a bit of fan speed relates to velocity out the vents.

My '87 has a she different dash, so it might not be direct to a Bullnose, but it would validate the efficacy of the relay mod (or not).

I really want to see the TSB that accompanies the '87-'91 E350 relay kit I've installed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - My relay kit is to be here any day, and hopefully there will be a clue or two that will let me find that TSB in the many, MANY books I have.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BullnoseLuvr
Yes, Scott, I measure my drop from the battery's positive post to the motor's positive lead at the connector.  And similarly I measure the the return side drop from that connector to the battery's negative post.  Obviously that's best case and a relay won't quite have that much effect, but it'll come close.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mine came in simple plastic bags (exactly the one shown)
There were no instructions, or even a release date.

But obviously if we had a date, we could find the TSB...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
And I disagree with Dave that regular cabs don't need more flow.  Big Blue's A/C had to run on High most of the time, and it was supposedly fully charged.  Yes, the evaporator was partially clogged, but not badly.
I am using the factory evap that I cleaned out hand fulls of junk then took my 175 psi shop air and blew it out. Should have seen the mess inside the cab  and I am still getting a little now and then.
If I knew it could have been that bad I would have pulled it out and washed it with water before I installed the HVAC box.

My system is fully charged or some may say over charged but when it is 90*+ out I don't need to run the fan on high all the time.

I should also point out that I have a hot water cut off valve so when on MAX AC there is no hot water going to the heater core. In the mornings to get the humidity down I run the AC on normal, fan on low and turn the temp up a little or it gets to cold OAT of about 78*-83* at 2am.

Then again it could be I am out in the heat working so when it cools down it feels good where others may still feel its to hot

Wonder if HF has one of them air meters?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The relay kit came in, and there's precious little info on it, just like you said.  May just have to go looking for the TSB.

Any guess on dates?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The listing makes it seem like it was for vans during our Bricknose era.
But it all depends on when Ford decided to acknowledge the problem and provide dealerships with a solution.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see what I can find.....

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
I didn't see one online but did see this fuse buddy knockoff tester

Nothing a multimeter can't do and doesn't help with the vent airflow test but still looks convenient in some situations.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I have something similar to that tester and it will also show a parasidic draw, just plug it in in place of the fuse and leave it sit for a few minutes and it will show the how much of a draw that fuse has over the amount of time it was plugged in.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the one Scott linked to, and it works nicely.  Handy for testing circuits.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
I didn't see one online but did see this fuse buddy knockoff tester

Nothing a multimeter can't do and doesn't help with the vent airflow test but still looks convenient in some situations.
It sure beats hooking up your meter and pulling fuses to find the parasite.

Mark

‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
Gary Lewis wrote
The relay kit came in, and there's precious little info on it, just like you said.  May just have to go looking for the TSB.

Any guess on dates?
I just received mine too. Since I have it I might as well hook it up.

Mark
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems like a good piece of kit.
Screws, clip nuts, crimps, zip ties.
A solid socket to mount, beefy wires and a genuine Bosch relay (from before they sold out)

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
After replacing the evap and cleaning all the crap out of the blower box and finding a dramatic improvement in airflow, the fan started vibrating. I pulled it and cleaned the crap out of the squirrel cage and reached through the fan hole into the drain well and found several inches of rich topsoil. I dug and dug and dug and finally got it all out and found the drain.  Everything is clean and the drain is now open for business.

I took a closer look at the old evap from the fan side and it’s 2/3 clogged. No wonder air flow was nil.

Mark
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is why I always say "pull those rubber drains from behind the front wheels and flush the muck out with a hose"

We're the enthusiasts here.
The ones that care enough about our old trucks to dig in and make them right (in many cases righter)

No one wants their truck to rot from the kickpanels out.
And IN, where water pools on the floor behind the door seal pinch flange every time it rains.

Hopefully today I'll have a chance to see all that again, after replacing it a couple of months ago.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I couldn't remember the exact details of your test so I didn't match the criteria very well.
This was after a 30 minute drive home from a Lowe's run so:
Idling in Park (~900 rpm)
Fan on High in Vent
Radio on
Door open
Hot side relay mod

You are right in that it makes a huge difference where on the vent you measure. Since I figure all we care about is the fastest speed, I moved the anemometer around until I found the fastest speed for each vent.

Driver-left: 1259 ft/min

Driver-right: 1317 ft/min

Passenger-left: 2115 ft/min

Passenger-right: 1249 ft/min

I had to get stuff unloaded as it started raining but I want to do the test again with all of the vents shut except the Passenger-left vent. So only measure that vent. We aren't really concerned with the spread but rather if the relay mods make a difference. I'll measure that vent with and without the relay mod.

Mike - can you do the same? Also can you put yours in vent? Figure that will be a common setting that all users will have available if more want to post results.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
Here's our results compared.  I was at idle (650 rpm) on MAX A/C with the doors closed, no relay mod.

Mark

DL DR PL PR TOTAL
Mark 1232 1074 1584 1419 5309
Scott 1259 1317 2115 1249 5940