Tethered Gas Cap?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tethered Gas Cap?

ratdude747
Well, I managed to do something completely idiotic this weekend... lost my gas cap!

I had to do a quick fill up Saturday (needed to rescue my mom who was stranded with a flat tire) and when I went to fill up yesterday, nope, no gas cap!. I suspect in the rush of the fill up I left the cap on the bed rail, and from there it fell off and out of the truck.

I have another cap on order (Pick up after work) but I'm wondering if there's merit in retrofitting a tether to the cap like later filler necks use (such as on my 1995 Ranger). Maybe a crimped bit of coated cable and rivet that to one of the cap wings? Or maybe I just need to not be so stoopid?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tethered Gas Cap?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I've worried about doing the same thing since I put the cap on top of the bed side and it would be easy to drive off w/o installing it.

So, what about this one from Amazon?  It tells me it is compatible with an '85, but I'll do a screen shot so you can see that 'cause it might not for you.  And, even though it says it'll fit my truck, the list of compatible vehicles is all Dodge/Ram/Jeep.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary - I bought this one, fits perfectly.

Since then, I cannot forget "again" my cap on the bed side (yep, I admit I did it).

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Why can't you forget it, again?  That cap isn't tethered, is it?  Just keyed.  So, maybe you have the gas cap key on the truck's key ring and leave the keys in/on the cap?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
I've heard to skip those. Because they only keep honest people out and are easily defeated with a screwdriver, yet are guaranteed to freeze up in the winter and otherwise be a pain in the side. Not to mention I like to keep accessory power on when fueling... which means a split set of keys. Which is no good.

Sure, back when gas siphoning was an issue outside of sensationalist social media stunts... but who seriously siphons gas (illegally) these days?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No Gary, I am simply admitting I lost (forgot) regular cap.
Twice.

This keyed one represents a real bargain for me, considering all the caps I could have lost.

ratdude747 wrote
I've heard to skip those. Because they only keep honest people out and are easily defeated with a screwdriver, yet are guaranteed to freeze up in the winter and otherwise be a pain in the side. Not to mention I like to keep accessory power on when fueling... which means a split set of keys. Which is no good.
Larry, you understood it's less against fuel theft than against my own carelessness.
And about winter, I had no problem with the key, the fuel door does its protection job.
But about letting the truck run while fueling, I suppose this is not a really good anti truck theft habit?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
If you live in a smog state that tests fuel cap pressure, make sure those locking caps function properly.

I've heard they are notorious for failing a smog check (here in CA at least).
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
No need to siphon gas anymore, all newer vehicles have plastic gas tanks. The ya-hoo's just "drill and drain"
It's quite easy and fast, the solution to that is 1 tracer bullet.....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
I don't let it run while fueling... I turn the key to accessory to keep power on the fuel gauge. Ensure I get a good full fill (although lately, the upper end of the gauge isn't so useful). And only while I'm fueling... if I'm away, it turns off and I keep the keys with me (or with my wife if she's in the cab).