1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tan dash pad - used

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Tempting... At least in my case a can of SEM bumper coater would fix that right up (what I used to do my Dennis Carpenter door panels).

I used to head out that way a lot... my dad's family is from that area (Altoona, PA and Trenton, NJ). Haven't been there in 15 years though. 8 hour drive, would be more of a "excuse for 3 day road trip" than a "great way to save on shipping money".

Too bad he didn't OBO it... or else I'd see if I could knock the price down a hair. Still cheaper than $450+shipping for a brand new one or a better quality used one!

Edit- He made an offer I can't really turn down... so road trip to PA time!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  How far is it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Almost 400 miles. Just shy of 8 hours.

I recently (as in today/yesterday) redid the head unit in the Ranger and this would be a perfect test... but nah, I can't stop driving my bullnose. In all honesty the Ranger is slightly better suited (especially if it rains), but there's something about being able to have a 37 year old vehicle that one can (knock on wood) drive wherever I legally can.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
400 miles each way, or round trip?

Yes, I understand the fun of driving an older vehicle.  When we were on Cinnamon Pass at almost 13,000' a lady took our pic and turned to someone beside her and say "Why?"  I didn't hear her but our friend Mike did.  Had I heard I'd have said "To prove I can."

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Each way.

My mentality exactly. Honestly it's half of why lately the F150 is my daily driver. Nothing against trailer queens (they have a place and purpose too!), but I restored mine to functionally original status, if not cosmetically original status.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I "restored mine to functionally original status" as well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Got it. Spending the night in PA and driving home tomorrow.

The defog vents have some chipping... but otherwise it's all there. Worth $100 and 8+ hours each way? Heck no. But it's a good excuse to drive my Bullnose out here and test it in the Appellation mountains. It's getting the job done but it doesn't like it... not that any vehicle really does. But all said, it's done the best in this sort of terrain it's ever done.

I'll have to get this one coated... obviously SEM bumper coater in charcoal for the colorant (as mentioned earlier, what I used on the door panels), but I'll want to UV coat it with something to halt the damage. Hmm... for another thread probably!

Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, I "restored mine to functionally original status" as well.  
No, you went well beyond that! I kinda did to a far lesser degree (added some factory options, upgraded head unit/speakers, CB, audio power/ground wiring, and a trailer hitch&brake setup)... but Big Blue makes my truck (which has no name) look purely stock!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got there safely.  And aren't driving at night - I hear the deer like to be out at night.  

I'm not sure you need to worry about UV.  The SEM is going to stop any UV from getting in.

As for Big Blue, he's just "capable" - capable of going anywhere.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sold!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  It is probably half way home with Larry by now.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Cool to see it go to somebody here! I bought one of my transmissions and a transfer case from Ebay. The guy was only two hours away (one way), so I drove down and picked it up. It worked out perfect since it allowed me to see the truck the parts came from, and the seller had a really cool 1940's or so 4x4 fire truck that he was restoring.