Taillight lens replacement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Taillight lens replacement

Whisler
Just had my truck painted and would like to finish up the rework with some new taillight lenses. I see that LMC has lenses to fit my truck, but I'm not sure of the quality. Does anyone have recent experience with LMC replacements or any other supplier, for that matter? More interested in quality and fit than price.

It's not a Bullnose body but it is close, and the heart is all Bullnose

Thanks for any input.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Taillight lens replacement

Gsmblue
I got mine from LMC, they are fine. Been in place for a few years and still look new.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Whisler
Yep, got mine there several years ago and they have held up nicely!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If yours are not broken they say you can use rubbing compound to polish them.
No I have not tried this as any of the lenses I had were broken, missing or faded.

Flare side tail lights I bought new as they were the ones broken or missing.
The front side markers were faded. Think I got them from LMC or Dennis Carpenter and came in Ford bags and markings.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I spent a lot of time polishing an old pair of lenses, and while I got them shiny they didn't pass light well at all.  Compared to new lenses they were awful.  I sure wouldn't bother.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Mine are a mess even after attempting to polish them. They look like some type of solvent was spilled on them and ate into them. Glad to hear that LMC may be a good option.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
LKQ did have them, Matt bought a pair of later ones for his 86 F150, liked the light output but not the appearance. When I put the 96 Bed on Darth, he gave them the me after ordering a pair of earlier ones for his.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I was just about to place an order with these lenses included when I found that one of the parts I need (license plate light harness) is backordered. Drat! Oh well I'll place the order and hope the backordered it comes in soon.
Thanks for the help.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the lenses should work fine but i will offer a little tip. the castings may or may not be as perfect of a fit as the factory ones were. pay attention to the seams where the inner shell and the outer shell are bonded together. some ( most) aftermarket  ones are a little sloppy at the seams and if you just put them in then you may chip or scratch new paint. test fit delicately and just use a file to clean it up as neccessary a little at a time. focusing on the top and bottom seams mostly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
LMC sells good driver quality parts but some I do not like the fit of.  The side markers for the front fenders Ive gotten quite a few at work for various trucks that were warped and just looked horrible once installed.

I personally try to find NOS where possible which is what I did with my taillights for my flareside but they were expensive.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Google "TYC tail lights 80-86 f-series".

You can find TYC lenses from multiple sources.
LMC sells them.

I bought one from Amazon, the other one from eBay.

They were identical to my OEM ones.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Whisler has an '89 Bricknose truck though...

I have TYC's on my truck and think they're fine.
No problems with fit, finish or leaky seams as suggested above.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My LKQ taillights on Darth:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413