Tail light socket

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tail light socket

Invisibleman13
Hello all. I'm trying to replace the tail light sockets on my Bronco and have run into an issue. The wiring on the new socket is a generic "red, black, white" configuration that doesn't match the wiring coming from the truck. The replacement sockets are Pico brand that I got from Bronco Graveyard. Driver side wiring is "brown, black, green w/red stripe". Passenger side is "brown, black, black w/pink stripe". I could really use so help so I don't have to go through a trial and error method. Any help is appreciated.
1980 F150 Custom 4X4
1984 F150 XLT 4X2
1985 Bronco XLT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tail light socket

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't found any Pico wiring diagrams so would offer this.  First, Ford uses black for ground and brown is tail light.  So the black/stripe wire should be the stop/turn wire and will connect to the light green/orange on the left and the orange/light blue on the right.

But, you can check, visually.  The brown wire should go to the longer filament and the striped wire goes to the thicker, shorter filament.  Longer filaments have more resistance and are dimmer, which is what the park/tail lights should be.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Invisibleman13
Here's the diagram for a Bronco.
You can see that center is ground.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Invisibleman13
For 3 wires Pico socket (tail lights):

Pico White = Parking = Truck Brown

Pico Red = Flasher = Truck Right or Left so Orange or Green

Pico Black = Truck body ground Black

For 2 wires Pico socket (such as backup or sidelights):

Pico White (or maybe Black)= Truck body ground Black

Pico Red = Truck live positive wire (colored one).
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Invisibleman13
Thanks for the help
1980 F150 Custom 4X4
1984 F150 XLT 4X2
1985 Bronco XLT