TFI Distributor O-ring/Gasket??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TFI Distributor O-ring/Gasket??

fords4life
Is there supposed to be an o-ring or gasket between the TFI distributor and the distributor cap?  Replaced the cap with an MSD one because the cap that was on there was showing signs of poor contact between the rotor and the terminals.  Now that I think about it, there was no seal of any kind when I pulled the old cap and I'm wondering if there should be?  I can't seem to find one or a part number, but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks,
Nathan
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TFI Distributor O-ring/Gasket??

1986F150Six
Administrator
No gasket.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TFI Distributor O-ring/Gasket??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup.  And, there isn't supposed to be contact between the rotor and the terminals.  If they touch you'll have problems.  But, they are supposed to be really close when the spark jumps.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI