classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sweet Black F100 Stepside on Ebay

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - We have a lot of great guys on here, so it is easy to get interested in what we have going on, which is all things Bullnose.

But talking about which engine is best is like the old debate about the video tape format war between Sony's Betamax and Video Home Format (VHS).  Wikipedia says:

The main determining factor between Betamax and VHS was the cost of the recorders and recording time. Betamax is, in theory, a superior recording format over VHS due to resolution (250 lines vs. 240 lines), slightly superior sound, and a more stable image; Betamax recorders were also of higher quality construction.

All the companies had good engines, although in different ways.  But Chevy sold more vehicles, probably due to having a slightly lower cost, and the engines became more plentiful - and more popular.  Aftermarket support quickly followed and, like VHS, the SBC became ubiquitous.  So now you see "the belly button combo" of a 350/350 in many vehicles, but just like VHS, that doesn't mean it is better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Bottom line, you don't truly understand why we like Fords. I don't because of a person .  you have Chebbie colored glasses.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by grumpin
And that all being said . , sure I like other car lines. at least specific cars. I think some of the Chebbie trucks look good, I like other cars . .but mainly a Ford person.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
Bottom line, you don't truly understand why we like Fords. I don't because of a person .  you have Chebbie colored glasses.
Well, I wouldn't say I don't understand. I get it. I think I feel the same way about Chevys as you do Fords. I'm not totally brand loyal or anything. I own a Ford, and have had a couple others. I've been excited about them all. I mean, what its all about is the feeling you get driving it around, working on it, accomplishing the restorative tasks, and all that really applies to any make and model. I've felt that way about VW's, Chevy's and Fords. I've only owned one Chrysler, a 99 Cherokee Sport, and I love that one too! Bottom line, I am a car guy, and so are all of you guys, and I know a good group of guys when I see it.

And you are right, my glasses are tinted "Chebbie". Mostly because that is what my dad liked.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Wikipedia says:

The main determining factor between Betamax and VHS was the cost of the recorders and recording time. Betamax is, in theory, a superior recording format over VHS due to resolution (250 lines vs. 240 lines), slightly superior sound, and a more stable image; Betamax recorders were also of higher quality construction.

All the companies had good engines, although in different ways.  But Chevy sold more vehicles, probably due to having a slightly lower cost, and the engines became more plentiful - and more popular.  Aftermarket support quickly followed and, like VHS, the SBC became ubiquitous.  So now you see "the belly button combo" of a 350/350 in many vehicles, but just like VHS, that doesn't mean it is better.
All good points Gary. It is for sure a complicated equation as to why things have happened the way they have. Maybe I live in a Chebbie bubble, but the LS/Vortec 4L60/4L80 drivetrain has proven to be even better than the Gen I/II chevy small blocks, and as popular, if not more popular an engine swap combo than anything else in history. The only ford drive train swaps that I can think of that are popular are the Monster Miata 5.0 kits. Even Monster Miata sells a Chevy LS swap kit. I think I have seen a couple RX7's with 5.0's. I must say the 5.0 is probably the best sounding V8...Ford definitely gets the cake on that. But if chebbie drivetrains are inferior, GM must have some magic voodoo marketing magic that makes people love them, and want to stuff them into everything.  I've got 341,000 miles on dad's 99 4.8 Liter vortec....still runs good. They are for sure a good drivetrain. The transmission didn't need rebuilding until nearly 300,000, I think it went around 275,000 or so. And it never got a transmission fluid change all that time. LOL. I was neglected.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by grumpin
Do you know what D.O.D.G.E. stands for?

Dead
On
Date
Guarantee
Ends
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks