Super Duty column swap problem has stumped FTE

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Super Duty column swap problem has stumped FTE

RenoHuskerDu
Are there any E99 experts in this forum, and is it OK to post an SD question?

Or should we only do PMs. Hey wait, do we even have PMs here?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Super Duty column swap problem has stumped FTE

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nope
No PM's, but you can send an email to any member by clicking their username.

Discussion of anything from /about any Ford pickup is fair game in my mind.

The Superduty steering column is much different. (assuming you mean 450 or '99 & up)

So I need to go look at that thread, or do you have a question?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Here's my thread. Thanks for the "pm" tip.

stumped...
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, as Jim said it is fair game.  But I've read your post on FTE and don't have any answers.  However, there is a schematic from the '95 F-Series EVTM on the site at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1996 EVTM/Speed Control.  That might let you troubleshoot the switch wiring.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Let me see if I can find electrical differences in my AllData, mechanical I probably can't get anything definitive.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, so far, 1999-2005 way different systems, does the column physically look the same (I doubt it) as the ignition switch on the 99 looks similar to the 1996 one in Darth, the 2005 is completely different. I have the column from the 1995 F450 Jim parted out, but it is a manual transmission one so probably won't help you. I have saved the pertinent diagrams as pdfs, give me an email in a message and I will send them to you as zipped files.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Help me understand why you didn't just fix the detents in the F-550's column?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I am no expert here ether. My question would be to everybody. Are not the detents in the transmition and not the coloum. I ask because every time I have pulled out a valve body to do a shift kit, when you are done and before you hook up the linkage, you need to test the shifting spool to make sure it stops in the correct amount of detents for gear and direction.

Again, just a question.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The column has what is actually a gate, the plate that the shift lever tang rides against so that it stops in certain positions and is blocked from moving beyond some areas until you raise the lever. Park is a positive lock, Reverse a smaller one, Neutral and Drive or Overdrive can, on most be freely moved between, 2 and 1 require raising the lever to go into, but some do not need it to go back the D or OD.

I don't have a loose column with the gate, but do have a couple of Chrysler floor shifters with a similar design. They have a top button to be depressed.

As to why, possibly the tang was broken or the gate was missing. The valve body detents are primarily to keep the manual valve in place once a gear is selected and it allows for wear in the older mechanical linkage. Due to the mechanical advantage most shifters have there is actually very little if any "feel" to those detents.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Are you suggesting the tang is broken?

How deep do you have to go to change a shift lever?

(Sorry, I'm automatic column inept)  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I imagine on the 1999 it is probably very similar to the one in Darth. I was trying to see where the gate portion is located but not having any luck.

Found some views on AllData, column is apparently the same stub column Ford has used for years (our 1990 Town Car had one of the first ones). The shifter detent or gate is on the top side of the column near the bottom and is held on with two Torx screws. There is a pawl that protrudes from the shift tube that engages the detent holding or restricting the shifter movement. Here are some pictures, the closeup is from the 1996 column in Darth.

This won't solve the problem, but as near as I can tell swapping the ignition switch from the old column and maybe the steering wheel might solve the electrical issues.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was envisioning more of a pawl, or ball and detent setup than just a gang, but there it is.

Could it be as simple as 26 coming unbolted?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks for all the replies. What enthusiasm here, even for an OT question. Is it just me, or does corporate purchase of a thriving forum tend to dampen its spirit. But don't get me started...

The actual column swap was done by Gary my master tech buddy, who also did the heavy lifting on my 550's engine and Transfer Case rebuild, as well as many other items. My sons and I did other heavy lifting such as removing the tool bed. For background, here is the Gantor Project thread on FTE (needs a Summary post as I am now using Gantor for actual work making actual money).
Gantor II, 550 of reknown

Why not just fix the detents is a good question. In fact that was my request of Gary (not our Gary, my friend Gary). But he proposed swapping in the 05 steering column shortly after I dropped off Gantor, and I agreed.

Bill's description of the column shifter "gate" is what I should have written at first. That's exactly what was broken, or possibly removed because it was inop. The detents still could be felt at the end of the shifter cable. It was the gate that was broken and worried me quite a bit. Gary thinks the "gate" had been removed on my 550. The truck had numerous mods including a stretched frame, but the obviously skillful man who did all that work passed away. So, nobody to ask ...

I emailed the gentleman who offered to send me some PDF diagrams. We own good data for late OBS and early SD, but not for the Gen 1.1 SDs as I call the 6.0s, such as the 05 donor of my new steering column.

I'm beginning to formulate a plan in which I swap in the E99 cruise buttons and ignition switch, then see if that helps. After reviewing those PDFs.  We also have a 2000 parts truck out in the field and I could pull its column as a plan B. It's where Gantor got his snappy Lariat LE interior.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gantor II looks to be quite the truck!  You've done a whole lot of work!

I know very little about the later steering columns or shift detents, so I'll stay out of that discussion.

And I'm biased on the forum thing, so will stay out of it as well.

But Gantor II is cool!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm thinking the 2k column would solve all your problems.
Not sure why Gary didn't go that route, but I guess it's still an option.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you need the wiring differences I also have the 1999 and 2005 ignition switch and cruise wiring diagrams saved for you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Any further word on this? Just wondering if you got it fixed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile