Super Cab vs Crew Cab Dimension

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Super Cab vs Crew Cab Dimension

Cbarnes
Wanted to put wheel to wheel step bars on the 84 super cab, but no one makes a chrome or polished stainless version.  So I thought maybe crew cab boards would be long enough to allow my wife a step to retrieve things from the tool box.  Can anyone give me the dimension for the length of a crew cab please?

Thanks,
Carl
1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Super Cab vs Crew Cab Dimension

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have one to measure, but if you go to Documentation/Manuals & Literature and then click the 1985 on the Body Builder's Layout Guide line you'll find a whole bunch of dimensions.  Hopefully it'll have what you want.

But, I'm going to tag Bill/85lebaront2 as he has a crewcab and can measure.  But what length do you want measured?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The dimensional differences in cab length that I know of (easiest way is to use wheelbase of the 8' bed trucks) Standard cab to super cab, add 22", for crew cab, add another 13" so using crew cab running boards you would have a 13" long section alongside the front of the bed which could be useful for loading/unloading things in the front part of the bed. The only issue I can think of that could present a problem is mounting the rear portion of the running boards. Darth has an old (1986 vintage) set of cab length and bed from cab to rear wheels DeeZee running boards. The cab length boards are mounted primarily by long aluminum plates bolted to the floor flanges under the cab. Front has aluminum plates that are attached to the back of the front wheel arches on the fenders, there are three angled braces from the bottom of the running boards to the inner floor flange and a pretty substantial brace structure at the back of the cab.

Depending on how the running boards you are considering are made, you might be able to just cut the extra 13" off. My DeeZee boards are an aluminum extrusion so are pretty substantial as far as strength (right side had been bent before I purchased Darth and it was a real pain to get straight).

Hope this helps, I do have some decent pictures of the mounts on Darth. DeeZee no longer makes the style I have, but were able to come up with a later mount kit that worked. I did replace all the rusted 1/4-20 fasteners with stainless ones from Fastenal.

FWIW, standard cab 8' bed has a 133" wheelbase, super cab 8' bed has a 155" wheel base and crew cab 8' bed a 168" wheelbase.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  

And, speaking of DeeZee running boards, we have some info on them on the page at Documentation/Manuals & Literature under Other Publications.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thanks Bill and Gary,

I think the 13 inches would be a great help for the wife to be able to retrieve things from the tool box, without having to climb into the bed.

Thanks again,
Carl
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Cbarnes
Hi,
Here is p.17 of 1984 brochure.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
For the same 8' box, diffrence OAL between Crew and Super is 13.3 inches.
I suppose all this "extra" space is behind the driver's seat, since these trucks have same hood, front cabin and rear 8' bed.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thank you sir