Sun visor bracket

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sun visor bracket

red1980F150
My sun visors don't hold position, so if you actually use them they whack you in the face.  So, I thought I'd take one off and see what's going on in the bracket.  

It looks... like something is missing.  I saw LMC has brackets for only $8.95 so I thought about buying those.  Does anyone know if they are worth buying?  Secondly and just as important, how do you slide the bracket out of the visor?  It seems really stuck.  
John

Red 1980 F150 Custom - Standard cab, long bed, 4WD
302 v8, Auto transmission
Almost completely stock, quite clean but not perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sun visor bracket

85lebaront2
Administrator
The problem with the Bullnose sun visors is lack of an inner support for when they are stowed. This makes them bounce on the springs that provide the friction to kepp them in position. The place for them was in the roof on Darth (1986 crew cab) and I was installing a 1996 Opal Gray interior so I drilled both holes (guide pin and screw) on each side and did the same on the headliner. The 1996 visors are lighted and seem to have stiffer "swing" springs on them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the Bullnose visors are a poor design.  The later visors fix that.  I highly recommend them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Okay, I'll look into those newer visors.  

The current visors apparently don't have a spring at all.  The brass nut in the picture is also not cut evenly on the top side, and the bracket has a bad booger weld holding the washer on.  I'm thinking the PO may have modified it.
John

Red 1980 F150 Custom - Standard cab, long bed, 4WD
302 v8, Auto transmission
Almost completely stock, quite clean but not perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that visor has been "modified", and w/o the spring it'll probably droop badly.  But even with the spring they drooped some.  The later visors fixed that nicely.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI