Subie Cooling Problem Solved?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subie Cooling Problem Solved?

grumpin
You may have seen this. Did some searching.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/cooling-problem-coolant-not-returning.178761/page-2
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - I'd not found that one.  Thanks.

Several takeaways from that.  One is that the head gasket leak test is not reliable, so it is still possible it is a head gasket leak.  But, we don't have some of the symptoms I'd expect, and they listed in that thread, of such a leak.  And, if we did the cost of replacing the head gaskets is more then we'd want to spend on this car.

Another is that the OP was losing coolant.  But we aren't.  If you keep it from overflowing the expansion tank, which it will do if you don't move it back after each long trip, you don't have to add coolant.  It pushes some out but doesn't lose it.

But there is also a difference.  That guy was getting some of the coolant sucked back into the radiator.  We aren't.  There's still a pressure on the system the next morning - small, but enough to prevent it from sucking the coolant back in.

Anyway, thanks for the link.  And for looking for help.  I'm still
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
According to the mechanic there are no products of combustion in the coolant.  And there's no oil in the overflow tank nor radiator.  Nor coolant in the oil.  Plus, if you carefully put what is in the expansion tank above the Full mark back in the radiator the radiator is full each time, so we aren't losing coolant.
Perhaps a retest is in order?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, but no thanks.  We've put 350 miles on it in two separate trips, and since I've done nothing to it since those trips that could have changed things I think I'll pass.

Yesterday Janey asked "Can it make Charleston, SC?"  My answer was "I believe that I could get it there.  But I would watch the temp gauge like a hawk, and pull over immediately if the gauge started to waver, and I'd have to wait at least two hours before pulling the cap to top it up.  And each and every morning I would make sure to top the radiator, not the overflow tank, up to full."

What I didn't say was that they really should be sucking the excess coolant out of the expansion tank and placing it back in the radiator instead of just topping up the radiator.  But I suppose that if they were topping up with a 50/50 mix of coolant they'd be ok just topping up and letting the expansion tank overflow.

I need to take it in to have the oil & filter changed, which I'll do tomorrow.  Monday was spent replacing the doughnut in the exhaust system, which was crumbling to powder, and discovering that the exhaust system, which is original, is hanging on by threads.  I had to clean the flange to get as much of the old gasket off as possible, and found I could see through the flange in some places.  So after a bunch of work I put it back together with a slight leak, but far better than it was.

Anyway, I think I'm just about "there" with the Subie.  Out of time and out of energy.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, I think I'm just about "there" with the Subie.  Out of time and out of energy.
Sometimes one has to cut one's losses and let go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's basically where I am.  They are going to have to baby it to get it to Charleston, but I'm pretty sure it'll do it.  Then it'll be fine driving around town there.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, it's weird stuff like that why I will never have another Subaru. Every water cooled boxer engine I have worked on, up to and including a Ferrari Testa Rosa (recent model not the original) has been a royal PITA, Ferrari required using wedges to force the head off the studs and a special crow's foot style 12 point 15mm wrench for the 8 nuts on the studs (they sit behind the cam troughs).

Air cooled boxer engines, VW, Porsche and Corvair, much easier to work on, just have to be sure they are sealed properly so they don't emulate Matt's Harley and mark their spot.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I was scrolling through your thread and sorry you are dealing with this. Out of curiosity, what year and model Subaru is this? Must be an older one as I see green coolant and not the long life blue coolant. We have a 2012 outback 4cyl and I had something weird like this happening for a while. I’ll try to remember what was going on. I do remember being pleasantly surprised I could remove the lower radiator hose from simply sticking my arms down into the engine bay.
RedBull
1981 F100, 73' 351W, C6, 9" 3.00L
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I wish it was a Ferrari, and especially a Red Head.  But the Subies are tough to work on.  I know when the head gasket let go I thought I was going to do the work and soon learned how hard it is to do it.  So little room!

Jesse - It is a 2001 Forester.  It has been in the family since new, and has 175K miles on it.  Runs like a champ, although the tranny shifts a bit softly when it is cold.  But, going to Charleston, SC it shouldn't see cold.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Most cars with boxer engines recommend removing the engine for major work.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413