Straight Six belt tricks?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Straight Six belt tricks?

tanman
I’ve never swapped a belt on this bullnose. My 94 had the nice tension serpentine setup. What dark magic is required to loosen and remove the belts?

I need to replace the alternator belt with a smaller option. The new aftermarket part doesn’t put enough tension on the belt.

Complicating things further is my aftermarket dealer AC compressor.

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Straight Six belt tricks?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In your case it looks like the A/C belt has to come off before you can remove and replace the alternator belt.  But both A/C compressor and alternator appear to swivel to tension the belt.

Can't tell from the pics, but some provide a square opening into which a breakover can go to provide the leverage to get the belt tight.  Otherwise you'll have to use a pry bar.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by tanman
The alternator belt is a pain to put it lightly. The only way I got mine to behave was to replace the belt and alternator (my pulley was worn), and tighten with a pry bar against the top of the frame (tire irons work great for this!) You may have to retension in a day or two as the belt settles.

That said, do note that A/C has a different alternator belt than no A/C, as does the 70A+ alternators compared to the 60A and lower ones.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
Thanks for the reply. After installing the new alternator it seems the belt needs to be a smaller size. The part number ends in 440 and I’ve learned this equates approximately to inches in length. I’m going to get *430 and *425 belts and see if they fit better. The alternator is a power master, one wire from Summit. I expected some small issues but didn’t expect to need a smaller belt.

That said, I need to remove the other belts and just spent another hour trying to figure it out with no luck.

I will keep at it.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
tanman wrote
Thanks for the reply. After installing the new alternator it seems the belt needs to be a smaller size. The part number ends in 440 and I’ve learned this equates approximately to inches in length. I’m going to get *430 and *425 belts and see if they fit better. The alternator is a power master, one wire from Summit. I expected some small issues but didn’t expect to need a smaller belt.

That said, I need to remove the other belts and just spent another hour trying to figure it out with no luck.

I will keep at it.
If the belt is a 440 your best bet would be the 430.  the 425 would probably fit but it would be a pain to force it over the lip of the pulley.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2