classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stick vs Auto

Vic Roma
Gary, to answer your questions:

I mentioned "heavy hauling" but I do not do much of it, weight-wise. So far, it’s been around 3,000 lbs in a dump trailer, and I don’t see more in my immediate future. That said, I am itching to buy a good F-350 460 4x4 for work, and leave the Bronco for play and preservation.

Sticking with the Bronco, I’d like to drop in a 351W (with some performance mods), and I’d like the motor/gb combination to feel alive, with foot-down immediate pickup akin to modern cars. Perhaps a tall order for an old engine (not ready for brand new crate engine) so would like a very capable all rounder package that can haul around 3-5k lbs, and have the speed to accelerate and keep up with fast-flowing traffic.

As for stick v auto, as a city dweller, stick shifting in traffic is not fun, even without a hip transplant. But I appreciate the sportiness of manual gear changes, too. Maybe a new gearbox with flappy-paddles will sort out the conundrum. Huh, what happened to the budget?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
And thanks to all for your responses. Just the kind of knowledge that lies dormant waiting to be tapped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
I'm glad you said F350 4x4 and not F250 4x4.  As I said recently somewhere, were I looking for a heavy-duty "work" 4x4 truck it would be an 85 or 86 F350.  That would give you a solid front axle and reasonable suspension.

As for an "alive" combination, one tranny we didn't mention is the AOD.  As originally built they weren't stout and Ford never put them behind a 351W in these trucks.  But, I'm told that you can have them built to stand up to lots of power.  I've not done it so I can't say for sure, but if so then it might work for the Bronco.  And that would give you the overdrive as well as straight-through power transmission w/o the loss of a torque converter.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Which is what I have now. It shifts fine, even under load, but it’s not a sudden blast on the highway. Sounds like a Carter 1H siren, it takes while to get going.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
In reply to this post by grumpin
When I bought Frankenstein (before it really was one) it was a 302/M5OD and I hated driving it. I was 70+ years old and my knees were not so good. It had no guts and needed to be rowed around. Backing up a incline was near impossible with reverse gear in the trans.
Fast forward to the swap 351/C6 from my dearly departed 84. Now I like to drive it. The C6 has a shift kit and a Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter. If a shift is needed in either direction it is there with the flick of the wrist. Kickdown lever was omitted with the Edelbrock install.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Vic Roma wrote
.... But I appreciate the sportiness of manual gear changes, too....
There aren't many sporty options for manual transmissions in 4WD vehicles, especially 3/4 - 1 tons.  Most truck manuals shift like, well, like truck transmissions.  So for sporty you might actually be better off with an auto (and coming from me, that's saying something!).

There are plenty of sporty manuals that can handle the kind of power and torque these engines put out (even well-built versions like Dad's Truck is getting).  But they are from the sporty car market, so you can't bolt a transfer case to any of them.  That still allows for a divorce-mount transfer case if you want to go that way.  Personally I just give up on the "sporty" and hope for something that at least doesn't shift terrible.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
You old retired guys are so long winded....

I prefer manual trans. Because MERICA'!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's because we have way more experience than you young whippersnappers
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
Amen, brother!     
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
If I was retired, Id spend all my time in a garage like Gary too.

Im being pulled in 20 directions right now. Im lucky to sneak in a few minutes here and there for Garys website. I actually get up 15 minutes earlier than usual so I can sip a cup of coffee and catch the latest threads on here before heading off to work.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed