Assigned: BigBrother-84 at priority
(Normal)
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Step bumper hitch

C.Jett
I had metal laying around and needed an adjustable heigh hitch, I only had to buy the receiver Harbor Freight, $18. The hitch will surpass the truck’s weight carrying ability. Plus I can adjust the heigh. The 38 yo bumper cleaned up good with Brasso. The part laying in front of bumper is an air dam for front bumper. 1/8x3/4x11/2x50”. With a bend at each end @43/8. All metal in hitch is 1/4”. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Step bumper hitch

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks nice! Well thought out and executed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
Yes, that looks nice.  Appears to bolt to the frame with as many bolts as my hitch does.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I wasn't going to mention Darth's V5 receiver setup. Since the receiver is welded into the center well of the step bumper, the bolt count to the frame stands at 10.
Here is the left side with the side plate removed so I could get the rear tank out:

Here is the inside of the right side frame showing where the 3 bolts go on the side plate:

Here is what it looks like in the back, disregard the stickers, they were from over 10 years ago:

If you look closely, you can see the weld beads where the receiver is welded into the "step". I have no idea what brand of hitch it is, it and a 5th wheel hitch came with Darth when I bought him in April 1994.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Nice and clean!

I like these OE chrome bumpers, but wasn't able to find any clean ones around.  When there was an "acceptable" one, it was painted...

So I bought a bran new chrome bumper.  It's nice, but not same shape as OE was (higher and not profiled to follow the bed sides).
It doesn't go as far to the truck's front as the original one, resulting in the ball too close to the bumper because of this.  This caused me problems, and I had to purchase a longer ball mount.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks Bill, I didn’t modify the bumper in any way. Just remove hitch and install original brackets and you are good to go. I have a pattern for the hitch brackets if anybody wants it. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary, It bolts in all the original holes with new grade 8 bolts and modified brackets. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Jeff, I was lucky, just a little surface rust inside and I treated that and painted it, but that Brasso did the trick. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I didn't do anything on Darth until I added the 3 lights under the tailgate. I had to lower the bumper about 1/2" I believe so the lights would clear the tailgate when opened (holes were there, just no lights). I even got the spare tire and carrier to fit.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
That's so much better than the abomination that came with my truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
351Fun, what was its purpose, ram brick walls or parking aid before backup cameras?? CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
I couldn't tell you, it does make a good step and a great ram though.  Pulling smaller stumps you yank on it, back up until you hit, then pull again and they usually come right out.  May have used it to open a gate or two in the past.  I often think about cutting it off because it destroys my departure angle, but it's such good peace of mind with all the brainless drivers staring at their phones and not the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That would even do more damage than Darth's hitch. It totaled a Geo who was following my son, Geo ended up wedged under it, receiver against his firewall, top of his engine destroyed. Total damage to Darth, Ollie North bumper sticker scraped a bit. They had to lift Darth by the 5th wheel hitch so they could drag the Geo out from underneath.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Finished !!! Now on to welding delaminated tail gate. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Wow!  Really nice job!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks, Jeff. CJ