Steering column shift collar

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering column shift collar

Powerman5K
My manual column shift collar broke yesterday. Went to buy one yesterday from LMC and it appears to be one of those "unicorn" parts that are not made. The only thing I can find is below from CJ Pony for a 79'. Anyone know if this one will fit my 1980 F-100 3 speed?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steering-column-shift-collar-manual-transmission-f-100/p/SCC25/
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering column shift collar

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It should not fit your truck.  As shown below the 1980 and later trucks with a manual transmission and a fixed, meaning non-tilt, wheel take a D60Z 3511-B part.  But the 1973-79 master parts catalog says a 78-79 F-Series with a non-tilt wheel and manual transmission takes a D80Z 3511-A.

Sorry.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Inevitable follow up question (bracing for the answer I know is coming); anyone know where I can find one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don’t, but I’d Google the part number - D60Z 3511-B

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I'm not sure this is the right part number. When I Google that number it gives me a plastic cover.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Powerman5K wrote
My manual column shift collar broke yesterday. Went to buy one yesterday from LMC and it appears to be one of those "unicorn" parts that are not made. The only thing I can find is below from CJ Pony for a 79'. Anyone know if this one will fit my 1980 F-100 3 speed?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steering-column-shift-collar-manual-transmission-f-100/p/SCC25/
The 1979 manual column shift collars will indeed work...I have done it myself as have others. The 1980-1986 manual column shift collars are no longer available....some say they were obsolete and NLA as early as the the early 1990's. They do pop up on Ebay from time to time or you can find them on junkyard trucks (and they are inevitably worn out or cracked also).

Below is a picture of my old 1984 steering column with a 1973-1979 shift collar installed. I did it quite a few years ago. I believe you need to trim about 10mm (3/8") from the top of the collar, and then you have to trim some off the plastic column piece that sits below the shift collar.

Mechanically, the 1973-1979 collars are identical to the 1980-1986 collars. The difference is in the outside shell, or casing as it were. The Bullnose collar bottom end is taper and fits inside the plastic trim piece. The 1979 and older collar is not tapered at the bottom so you'll have to trim the plastic like I did to make it fit. Other than that, you just need to trim about 3/8" from the top of the collar where it meetings the ignition housing.

Note: There are a bunch of other wear parts in there that need to be replaced also...springs and plastic bushings, etc. They are much easier to find...if you do replace the collar, search out those other wear parts and replace at the same time.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - Thanks!  I see you've responded while I was responding.

Powerman - I'm sorry if I got you the wrong part number.  Maybe you can figure out what the right number is by going to our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns And Steering Wheels.  Then go to the Illustrations tab, scroll down to the right illustration, and get the correct "base part number".  Then go to the Part Numbers tab and look up the full part number.

As an example, that part's base part number might be 7228.  But you really need the full part number, which might be E0TZ 7228-D.  And as Cory said, those aren't available.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thank you to all. I have already ordered the 79' version and was planning to try to figure it all out on my own. I appreciate the detailed instructions on what needs to be modified.

I have looked into all the other parts to replace as well. I'll buy those and make the changes when I replace it. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
My 1980 3 on the tree collar was broken when I bought the truck six years ago. JB Weld and hope we’re the only things holding it together for the 40 mile ride home. I could not find a 1980 shift collar to save myself and I didn’t want to do the floor shift conversion.

So… I ordered the 1979 version and compared it to what I had. I carefully marked where I needed to trim with a scribe and promptly launched it across the room when I got greedy with the lathe cutoff tool.

So… again I ordered a second 1979 collar, marked it for cutting on blue painters tape and used a fine tooth blade hacksaw to carefully work my way around the piece. I think I used a piece of 4x4 wood in a vice but may have slipped a pipe through the center. For God’s sake, take your time. It is only a one cup of coffee job.
I dressed up the cut with light file and sanding. Quick coat of satin black paint and I’ve been happy with it for six years.
I recall inserting the pivot pin for the shift lever gave me the most stress, because it was a tight fit and I did not want to crack the eggshell thin collar after modifying and installing it. If you have a small ream, that could be the way to go. I was committed by that point so just went for it. Sorry, no photos.
Good luck.
“Find what you love and let it kill you.”
― Charles Bukowski

1980 F100 Custom, Big Six, bench and 3 on the tree. My bare bones play truck.
2012 VW TDI Sportwagen daily driver.

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Powerman5K wrote
I'm looking to buy all the upper bearing parts to swap out when I make the repair. Problem is, I can't find a rebulid kit. Does anyone know if this Upper Column rebuild kit will work for a 1980 F100 with no tilt?
No sir, that kit does not fit. I don't think anybody makes a kit for the Bullnose era trucks. JBG sells the upper bearing, or at least they used to, that's where I bought mine.

All of the plastic parts I found on Ebay (individually, not in a kit).

The one big lower bushing I actually got at the dealer...oddly they were still available.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Just an update on this project...

This past weekend, I finally found time (and relatively warm weather) to complete this fix. Rembrant, your fix worked like a champ! I cut about 3/8" off of the 79' model using a grinder and it fit perfectly. I can't believe how much better my truck shifts now. It must have been going bad for a while before it broke entirely. Thanks for all your help with this.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Excellent news!

I'm so glad that there are 3 on the tree Bullnoses still on the road and in use. Warms my heart;).