'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Steering column disassembly

kramttocs
Administrator
Decided to see exactly what the plastic pieces in the inner tube/shift tube fit into. Stuck it in the shop oven while preheating for coating other parts and then pulled it apart. The inner sleeve has a recessed portion on either side and I am guessing that the plastic was forced in there while hot? Essentially filling the void, solidifying and providing some additional torque resistance. Just a guess.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  So, early hot-melt glue?  How are you going to put them back together?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The one I took apart was my spare but I did slide it back together before I put it on the shelf. The friction fit is tight (had to use a mallet to fully seat it) but I wouldn't trust just that to withstand the shifting twist long term.

On my 'real' one before cooking the plastic out I tacked 3 spots around the perimeter and ground them down. I am still debating whether or not to work something in those slots that will harden up (and stick to the powder) but I don't think it's needed.

On the actual shaft, it pulls apart and there are two clips on the top half to provide some sliding resistance.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the outer tube to come apart. There is a column in the jy from an 86 that someone damaged the top part of that I may pick up to dissect.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, you've got info I'd like to have.  I'll surely be doing this in the not too distant future, so how 'bout writing a tutorial on how to repair a steering column?  Please?  Pretty please?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Most of my disassembly was videos but I'll do better putting it together and see about a 'how to build a steering column' thread :)

Good news though - I picked up the spare outer tube from the jy and set out with the plan to tear it apart today.
Fortunately there was no tearing needed.
Using my engine hoist (definitely not the first time it's been used to straighten something or pull something apart like this...) I tied straps to the top and bottom portions of the column.

Started jacking and simple as that they started to slide apart.
There is a plastic ring (can see the lip when assembled) that comes out and then there is a thicker metal ring that I am not going to try and take out.

After seeing there was nothing to it, did the same with the good one and got the same result.

Before doing anything I measured 3 different auto/tilt columns and two of them were the same and one was 1/4 different. Don't know why the difference as mine and the 1/4 were both 86's but I'll put mine back to the same length it was.

Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be nice so may try to reblast and coat them then.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like the use of the shop crane to pull them apart.  I learned something new.  

Yes, we need a thread, or maybe a page, that tells how to take them apart AND put them back together.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice! Good thinking!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha, I am glad to know that you guys are as impressed by the hoist 'reverse press' as I was the first time I tried it.

Turns out there is either some grease or glue (leaning towards assembly grease) between the thick metal collar and the tube that took a couple burn/blast cycles to get rid of but the main column is coated and back together.

I have started documenting the assembly process which should be able to be reversed fairly easily.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks sooooo good!  I'm sure glad you are ahead of me on this.  I know I'm going to go through Big Blue's column to ensure its bearings/bushings are good, but then I'll go through Dad's to ensure it looks good AND has good bearings.  Can't wait for the how-to.