classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering Stabilizer Attachment Point

Machspeed
Administrator
Went out the other night after work to install a steering stabilizer on my truck, only to come to the conclusion that I don't like the way it attaches to the frame rail. Maybe if the frame rail were boxed, I could go along with it, but this is really cheesy to me. See picture as to how it attaches to the frame. Thinking about making an "L" shaped bracket out of a piece of angle iron and attaching it to the lower frame rail. Anyone install a steering stabilizer on their truck?  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering Stabilizer Attachment Point

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - I don't have a steering stabilizer - yet.  So I can't really answer your question and hope someone else can.

But that design is really poor  A flat strap is going to flex, especially when extended that far below the lower frame rail and with a hole that weakens it right on the lip of the rail where the forces are concentrated.  You could strengthen it a lot by replacing the inner strap with the piece of angle you mentioned.  And move the bottom bolt up to to higher hole.  Plus cut off the extra length of the outer strap just beyond the upper hole as well as the extra length of the bolts.  That would make it a bit neater as well as stronger.

But it isn't kosher to drill the lower flange of the frame as that weakens it.  It is ok to drill the vertical part of the frame as it is basically just keeping the upper and lower flanges in place.  So while a piece of angle bolted to the bottom flange would seem like a good idea, I don't think it is.

Maybe you could design something that would bolt to the two holes towards the front and the one almost under the strap that would then have a piece projecting below the frame for the stabilizer?  A piece of channel opening to the inside, and then a piece of angle welded to it and pointing down?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks Gary! Though I mentioned a piece of angle to the bottom of the frame rail, I did feel uncomfortable drilling it. What do you think about getting a piece of channel with legs to the depth of the bottom frame rail and notching it (the channel) to slide in and sit flush against the vertical inside wall of the frame rail? Basically, the channel would run vertically into the frame rail and extend below the frame to accommodate the shock of the dampener. It would be secured by two bolts.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I looked into this a few years ago and here is a post I made:

younger kramttocs wrote
Have done some web and thread searching on this but feel like I must be missing something.
My want is to add a steering stabilizer to my 1986 F250 4x4. Steering is great so not trying to fix a problem. I just want one
But I don't want the kind that you ubolt to the passenger side frame rail. Just personal reasons I'll admit.
I was looking at how the one on my dad's 94 F350 (dana 60) mounts and it's exactly what I want. It has a flat bar that bolts to two of the axle/leaf ubolts and then has a short angled piece going down from it that the stabilizer mounts to. Then it has the typical ubolt bracket that the other end hooks to.
I tried to find that part since I have to believe it's factory on his truck but surprisingly (lack of good searching skills?) didn't have any luck. I did come across one kit somewhere that mentioned it ONLY worked with the solid axle so that got me to thinking that for some reason I wouldn't be able to use the leaf ubolt method. This kit wasn't the style I wanted - it was just the note that it was solid axle specific that stuck with me.
Then the other day I found an 85 f250 4x4 in the jy that had the bracket I want. I pulled it and am going to make sure it isn't bent all wonky since the stabilizer itself is bent (going to compare it to my dad's).

Is there some reason it won't work on the Dana 50? I know the truck I pulled it off of is essentially the same as mine but for all I know they could have put it on the day before they scrapped it.
The 2 reasons I feel like I am missing something is 1) because the one kit I found differentiated between ttb and solid and 2) this ubolt bracket is a really simple design ( 3 holes and bend) to have made up so I feel like I should see more mentions of it.

Here is the bracket I cut off. The left side bracket makes use of the excess u bolt threads and sandwiches the bracket between the two nuts.

As you can see, we have the same opinion on the mounting style that ubolts to the frame rail

Gary has it lucky with the D60 since he can go with a factory (and legit looking) setup. For us with the TTB (44/50), aside from the picture I took which won't work with your coil setup and may not even really work with mine, this is the most solid I've seen: https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/dana-44-50-steering-stabilizer.html
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I wasn't aware that there's a factory bracket for the D60.  So now I need to be on the lookout for one of those.  

And I'll report for John/Machspeed, although maybe he'll have more details soon.  He told me the other day that a friend that's a guru with CAD and metal-working stopped by to take some measurements and is going to make something that John thinks will be strong and look "factory".  So maybe there will be a neat solution for the TTB crowd.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
FWIW, the one I pulled off my F250 is like the one in Scott’s link.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Thought I'd report on my steering stabilizer install. If you read above, you know that I bought a steering stabilizer kit from Sky Jacker and wasn't at all pleased with the bracketry. As such, I had a good friend make me up a bracket that fits into the frame for which I was able to use existing holes to secure it, thus no drilling the frame which really made me happy. With his bracket, it went together nicely.

After test fit and install, I took it for a ride and I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference. Since rebuilding of the box and changing out the steering shaft, my steering has been really nice and tight. I don't know if it was this tight when I bought the truck. Anyway, my desire to add this to the truck stems from reading that a steering dampener will help in reducing wear on front-end components. As I've replaced front end parts on this truck three times now, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the engineering of it. This last time, I spent a little more money and got good Moog components so maybe with that and the addition of the dampener, I'll not have to address this again.  

John

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That looks better! Nice job!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed. That bracket looks great and substantial!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
firm believer in moog problem solver parts. they were suggested to me by a front-end shop in Nashville back in 93. they are still in bubba today! mic drop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Yes, that is a really nice bracket.  Now you are going to have to sell them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks fellas! It's a little over kill at 3/8" thick steel.... If I were to do it again, I'd probably do it in 5/16 and not have the holes pre-drilled. I actually did not use one of the holes he drilled, as I did not want to drill my frame. Still, far better than the brackets in the kit.    

And Mat, like you, I used the Moog problem solver parts in my last build. I think the previous parts were likely Chinese garbage.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There you go!  You already know how to optimize it for sale.