classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Starter motor teeth wearing out

Paulco
Hello

I keep having the same issue about every 6 to 9 months. I am on my 3rd Starter motor and they all have the same issue. Eventually the starter motor just spins and does not connect to the fly wheel, I can usually turn the engine manually and get a connection but even that after a while stops working.

The truck is 1981 F150 4x4 302 V8 short bed with automatic transmission. This is the info I use when ordering a starter motor but maybe I am missing something.

When I look at the starter motors I see the front of the teeth are worn as if the whole gear cog on the starter does not engage the flywheel fully.

The battery and solenoid are about 2 years old.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Starter motor teeth wearing out

ratdude747
Two questions:

1. What condition is the flexplate in? The teeth on mine were pretty chewed up... while I had my engine out I replaced it.

2. You're on the stock type of starter... that is, a one wire (moving pole) starter, not a PMGR with a separate solenoid wire?

The original Moving-pole type starters can be rough on starter teeth as the motor spins while the gear is slid into place (or so I've read). The PMGR of the 1990's fixed this among other improvements (faster cranking, less battery demand, etc.)... one reason why it's a common swap (other than replacing the starter for the newer unit, all one does is move the existing starter cable to battery hot, and add a 12 gauge wire from the solenoid output to the motor's solenoid).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco
Not sure about the condition of the flex plate. The starter motor is the stock type with a moving pole, where can I purchase a PMGR?
I assume there is a specific model for my truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Get one for a 1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0L.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Paulco
Any 1990+ 5.0 or 4.9 Automatic will do. The one I installed on my 4.9 came off a 1994 5.0 F150 (If I remember the eBay listing correct).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I'm not young anymore and I always wondered when I'd see those teeth worn out. Only seen a couple, on parts trucks.

Good to know of a fix
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco
Is the wiring set up  the same for these starters?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not quite.  Go to Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring for the minor change that is needed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco
Thanks, I reviewed the wiring. Below is a picture of the starter I purchased, do you know how the black wire in the picture should be connected?

The orange label says 'DO NOT REMOVE, attach to existing lead'.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
That appears to be the solenoid wire... that's where the "new" wire is supposed to connect. IMO it's best to pitch that pigtail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco

Installed the new starter using the instructions in the electrical section. What a difference the PMGR starter makes, my truck starts up a lot quicker to the point where once its warm I have to be quick to turn key back.

Thanks to those who helped.

Paul
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Paul, added the PMGR starter to mine a few weeks back and it's a wonderful difference. That little sucker turns the engine over much faster. Curious, did you get your starter at Autozone? That pigtail looks exactly like the one that was on mine.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner