classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Starter engaged while driving

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It surely does sound like your ignition module was retarded all the time.
In fact, that's one way to tell that your start retard function is actually working.

If you had it set at 13° before then I would definitely be concerned, because the one millisecond delay should work out to about 3-4° according to Gary.
16° might be a bit much now.
Keep an ear out for rattle when tipping in the throttle from cruise.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it does sound like the module was retarded.  (Pun intended.  )

And, I agree you'd better check what you have now for the initial timing as you might have too much.  However, if it is really at 16 I'd expect it to kick back on starting w/o the retard feature hooked up, so maybe it isn't advanced that far.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But the start retard feature will be hooked up....  

So it's going to be no different than it was before, except the timing advances 3-4° once the key is let off.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
Checked the timing last night and as I suspected it was at 17deg. I reset to 10deg. and will start running it up a few degrees at a time and test driving. It seeems to like 13deg. but im going to run it up a little at a time to confirm now that I have everything working correctly.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
At up to 13 degrees it should keep responding better and better. But as Jim said, listen for a rattle on tip-in from cruise.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI