Standard Transmission Reverse Shudder

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Standard Transmission Reverse Shudder

Socnarftrucks
Recently replaced the flywheel/pressure plate on my 1981 f100 with a 4.9L and a 4 speed SROD transmission. The clutch seems to work well except in reverse when it shudders violently and doesn’t go especially when trying to back up a very gentle driveway slope. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Standard Transmission Reverse Shudder

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How many miles do you have on it?  In my experience it takes some time for a clutch to "burn in", and until it does it can be grabby.

I don't recommend it, but I've put the park brake on and slipped the clutch a bit just to bed it in.  Not a lot or you can cause problems, but a clutch does time time to match up with the flywheel.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
The odometer says 136k but it’s hard to know since I bought it used. Would it make a difference between an 10” vs 11” clutch?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I meant how many miles on the new clutch.

And yes, if you went from a 10" to an 11" clutch then that might be part of the issue.  The part of the flywheel that hasn't been used before won't have the same texture to it and is likely to be grabby initially.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Much appreciated. So I’ll try applying the ebrake and let it slip for a second
Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Socnarftrucks
100 miles on the new clutch, sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
With only 100 miles on it the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel haven't "mated" yet.  I think a bit of slipping may help.  But don't make it long.