Spinning bumper bolts and other scavenged items

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Spinning bumper bolts and other scavenged items

rcarlisle
Got a better front bumper.  2 bolts are loosening, 2 are spinning.   Can't get vice grips to stay on the head.   How do I get them to stop spinning and start loosening?

Pic is ready of stuff picked off a truck the dude wants to strip as much as possible.  $80.  Some of this is for Jonathan's truck as well.   I'll probably go back in a couple weeks for the heater box and maybe the wagon wheels.  All 4 with caps.  Need blasting but price is reasonable.  

Let me know if anyone needs parts.  Still a lot there.   No bed, cab is shot.  Seat isn't bad but is ripped (red).  Doors, inner panels with chrome.  Plastic is scaly but feels solid enough.  Hard dash part is still pretty good.  Dash pad is gone.  He still has the doors.  Core support looks straight and solid.  4x4 and all he wants is engine.  Both axles still there.

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Spinning bumper bolts and other scavenged items

mat in tn
once they spin i give up on them. they become sacrificial. i use a right-angle grinder to grind away the head but be very careful not to get the bumper. grind an x across the center as far as you can to get as deep as possible that allows the rest to be ground with a little more control. maybe just my imagination but I do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, once they spin you are going to have to sacrifice them.  I don't have a nut-splitter but some have used them successfully on this problem.  I've used heat and PB Blaster, repeatedly, to get the nut to turn.  But it usually ruins the bolt.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
once they spin i give up on them. they become sacrificial.
Yup. Up here in the land of rust, it is very rare that the bumper carriage bolts can be removed by normal means. I drill them out. Might have to clamp the bolt with Vicegrips regardless, but I go through them pretty quickly with a drill. They're just regular steel bolts with thin stainless caps on them.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, once they spin you are going to have to sacrifice them.  I don't have a nut-splitter but some have used them successfully on this problem.  I've used heat and PB Blaster, repeatedly, to get the nut to turn.  But it usually ruins the bolt.
I use the nut splitter
When in the field and no battery powered tools this is the go to tool
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100