Speedometer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speedometer

El Chapo
Installed new speedometer cable and driven gear, speedometer radically moves jumps around and unstable also appears to read a much higher mph then actual speed by like 15 mph. What could be the causes for this. Does anyone have a working one for sale 4 speed automatic with tachometer.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speedometer

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you lube the speedo cable?  I bought a new one that said it was lubed, but it really wasn't and the speedo was jumping badly.

I pulled the cable and sprayed it with Teflon and also graphite.  That helped a bunch but it was still jumpy, so I lubed it with synthetic wheel bearing grease.  Thick and sticky stuff.  And it tamed most of the jumps.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by El Chapo
Thank you Gary that makes sense and I now remember that Mat also mentioned the need for that in one of my previous posts. Peace!
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
You can get a cable luber to aid in fully lubing your cable too!

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3UW0ZMD9WYE8B&keywords=cable+lube+tool&qid=1668344425&sprefix=Cable+lu%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-4
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner