Les Kerf
I'm not absolutely sure, but they both look to me like 7 teeth in his photos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Speedometer issue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure either, but since his speedo is very close it doesn't really matter.  It works!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
In reply to this post by 84FS460
Well now the speedometer isn't working again. What would cause this damage, cable binding maybe?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the cable, speed control transducer, or speedo itself must be dragging badly.  Something is binding up.

Have you lubed the speedo cable?  Pulled it and looked it over?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
It's a brand new cable and I didn't lube it. Paid the price for that mistake. Time to go find a driven gear now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wouldn't think even a dry new cable would do that.  I've had dry cables and all they did was cause the speedo to bounce.

Pull the inside cable out and gently run you fingers down it.  Gently because there can be wires sticking out that will hurt.  Look for rough spots.

Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 84FS460

Well the speedometer isn't working again the new drive gear that I spent a lot of money on it and its damaged again and the driven gear on the cable is damaged as well. I swaped in the old cable that came with the truck because it was lubricated already and there was nothing wrong with it anyway. I checked it with a drill to make sure it wasn't binding up and there is nothing wrong, so what is causing this? I am really frustrated I have spent a lot money to fix this and I'm back to square one again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is a bummer!  Do you have the two-piece cable with the speed control transducer in between?  If so, might one of those cables be bad?  How 'bout the transducer?  The speedometer itself?

Reply | Threaded
|

84FS460
I don't have cruise control in it just a one piece cable from speedometer to transfer case. The speedometer is working ok to 35 mph then becomes 2 mph faster then the pickup is going but doesn't seem to act like it's causing anything to bind up.