joe OC
I need help finding the replacement gear in my borg warmer 1345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Speedometer gear

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Joe - These are the three different gears for the Borg Warner transfer cases.  Which one do you need?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

joe OC

I need the 8 tooth with the steel sleeve, or do I just press the new gear onto the sleeve?
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

joe OC
Thank you very much
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by joe OC
joe OC wrote
I need the 8 tooth with the steel sleeve, or do I just press the new gear onto the sleeve?
Joe - That's a very good question.  And I don't know if you can press the gear off the sleeve.

I pulled the drive gear on Big Blue's BW1345, but I didn't swap it, I just put it back.  But I from the advert that David found (thanks, David!) it looks like they come on the sleeve.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by joe OC
joe OC wrote
Thank you very much
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
By the way, Jonathan Donald [Ford F834] has experience with these gears and I believe has reported that the gears wear when there is too much friction caused by inadequately lubricated speedometer cables.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
How do you calculate the right gear? For example, when you go from 31 to 33 inch tires?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By using the calculators at Documentation/Driveline/SPEEDOMETER GEARS, CABLES, & SENSORS.  But there are three of them so here's what they are best used for:

Correct Speedo Error: This one is for when your speedo is reading incorrectly.  Just input what the speedo reads at 60 mph and what driven gear you are currently running and it'll tell you the driven gear you need.

Set Up Gearing: This one lets you change anything.  Input your "old" setup and then change something in the "new" setup and you can see the speedo cable speed, which you want to be as close as possible to 1000 RPM.  Change tire size, drive gear, driven gear, or axle ratio.

Comparative: Two tabs.  The Gear Calc tab is pretty simple but shows what adapter box ratio is needed.  The Original tab is simple as well.

I'd use the Original on the Comparative tab as it is the most simple one.  Again, you want the speedo cable to be spinning at 1000 R's at 60 MPH.