classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Someone check my alternator math

Pete Whitstone
Hey all,

This weekend I am changing from a V-belt front end accessory drive to the serpentine system from a '95. So this means I will be changing from my Powermaster 1 wire alternator, back to a stock-for-95 unit.

Bear in mind that all stock wiring connectors for my truck were long gone before I got my hands on it, which is one of the things that made a 1-wire unit a no-brainer.

Here is the 95 EVTM page with the alternator wiring diagram:

And here is what I think that is telling me to do with the wiring:

Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks!

Edit: The colored writing in that last image might not be easy to read. The Blue text coming off the large blue "wire" is "To Batt +" (through a fuse or fusible link of course) and the Green text is "To 12 volt switched power. Could also include dash indicator lamp."
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Someone check my alternator math

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - You are correct.  You can see that info on our page at Documentation/Electrical/3G Alternator Conversion.  On that page you'll find the diagram below, which is from the '96 EVTM, and it shows what you are planning.

Last, I think you are wise to go with a 3G.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Thanks Gary. It's curious to me that the 2nd single "S" terminal, and the main alternator output, are both labelled as a single connector (C153). Not sure what exactly that connector would look like.

I also wasn't sure that the 2nd "S" terminal was the one that should be linked with the S terminal on the A-S-I connector. I guess it really couldn't be anything else, aside from something not on the alternator.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree that showing it as C153 is surely wrong. Weird!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI