classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: So who has parts vehicles?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know guys that swear by Peel N Seal for sound deadening, and those who swear at it.  Was just curious what product you like.

As for coloring plastics and vinyl, I've used SEM and like it.  And, since they have the colors for these trucks, many of us tend to use their stuff: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/interior-paint.html
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
There's no comparison between SEM and Colorbond. I'm not saying the colors aren't good. I have used a lot of SEM products over the years. But as far as coloring plastics . . believe me  :)  Give Colorbond a try and you won't go back. When it is sprayed and colored, it is REALLy colored. It doesn't come off.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll give it a try when the time comes.  Thanks.  

Do you have a chart for their products?  Or does one exist that I could put on in addition to SEM's?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I believe Ford is using Colorbond also in new production. here is their color page.

https://www.colorbondpaint.com/pages/paint-selector
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It doesn't appear that Colobond has the colors for our trucks. Big Blue has an A9B Regatta Blue interior, but they only have two Ford blues, as shown below. And those are apparently exterior colors because if you click either of the two Interior boxes along with Blue and Ford all paints go away.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Same thing on my Chrysler LeBaron convertible, it has a burgundy or maroon interior color, burgundy is what the code comes up as.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Does SEM have the color for your LeBaron, Bill? They do for my trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Colorbond doesn't sell exterior paint.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was looking at their interior paints and didn't find them for either of my trucks. But SEM has them, although they aren't off-the-shelf.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
You can't always go by names. I know that complicates things, but names , especially for interiors are difficult to keep straight. Exteriors are like that also. A certain mix may be called several, or even  many, different names over the years and over the different models for what  it was used.
They offer this as well

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since I know what the names are for the SEM paints that match the interior colors I will use it. I have before and it has worked well for me. Perhaps Colorbond is better, but I'm not willing to experiment to find an acceptable color.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I understand, I stick to materials I'm happy with. But I can name three that have changed my mind. Master Series is a silver moisture cured urethane primer. It is fantastic with rusty metal and for sealing welds. NEVER use POR. Second, TrueFinish buffing compound/polish. It is just amazing. No need for several materials to cut and buff, no worries of dried material that is difficult to remove. No worries of swirl marks. And thirdly,  are Colorbond products.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is Master Series like POR in that it isn't auV stable and needs to be top-coated?  If so, what is the timeframe in which you can do that, and with what?

And, why is it better than POR?  I'm just trying to learn?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Because Master Series is a primer. It is intended to be top coated. But it seals the surface. And most importantly, it does not peel. POR peels. I's very hard, but adhesion is a problem. POR even says not to apply to fresh new metal. Master Series is a different material. It can be applied over almost anything. As for how to apply a topcoat . depends on what I am doing. If I'm spraying, I'll wait until it's tacky and spray the next material I planned on using. If brushing, depends. You can always scuff it once it is cured and apply over the scuffed surface. Here's an entire Mustang primed with Master Series silver.
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/vintage07.jpg

Here's a blurb about MS.

"MasterSeries MCU is a maintenance primer and finish coating for interior and exterior use over steel and masonry surfaces where a high degree of chemical, abrasion and corrosion resistance is required. This coating is generally used as a primer on steel and galvanized surfaces where only marginal surface preparation can be achieved. It can be used as a primer for enamel, lacquer, and two part epoxys. MasterSeries can be used as a topcoat where gloss retention is not a critical factor, i.e., as an aluminum roof paint. Because it has excellent salt corrosion resistance properties, MasterSeries has been widely used in marine atmospheres. It has found use on steel tanks, stacks, piping, metal building paneling, trucks, railcars, bridges, etc."
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I'll give it a try.