Sloppy transfer case linkage and then there’s this?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sloppy transfer case linkage and then there’s this?

El Chapo
Greetings my friends especially to Mat and and Gary. So I’m confused by two items related to the transfer case on my 86 bronco. Was not planning on working on the transfer case but in the process of other things I came across these two things that I’m not familiar with I’ve attached pictures. One is the broken off seem like a vacuum hose attached to the shifter don’t know what the purpose is for that the other is some sort of internal electrical connector that was just laying on top of the transfer case not if it’s just a random thing or related somehow. Finally, shifter is sloppy and seems lose since I haven’t driven it much in 4x4 but appears to work only pops out of gear easily. Vacuum hose??Connector?
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sloppy transfer case linkage and then there’s this?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That hose is the vent from the transfer case, and it is held to the shift lever up under the shift boot.  But I don't know what the other thing is.

And the sloppy issue is probably due to the plastic fingers inside the transfer case being worn out.  If that is the case then there's no way to fix it w/o rebuilding the transfer case.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Thank you Gary, Seems weird that a vent hose would just would lead right into the shifter boot. I suppose it should be left open as it is? Thanks for your help.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put small fuel filters on my vent hoses to keep critters out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Wear of the range forks is likely. If its not staying engaged and keeps finding neutral then its most likely the range fork. It is aluminum and has these two cute little plastic “quiet” pads  that FAIL then the tolerance opens up but the selector plat (steel) rides against the aluminum and will wear through it. Then itdoes notfully engage either high or low range of the planetary. And dont get me started on the oil pump!