classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sky's Offroad Design

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sky's Offroad Design makes suspension and steering components for a number of vehicles, including our Bullnose Fords.
How would you rate Sky's?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The front suspension conversion on Big Blue uses a Sky's kit.  And my experience with them in doing that conversion was both good and not so good.

But to be fair, I got their very first kit to put a D60 solid axle using SuperDuty springs in a Bullnose truck.  Erik at Sky's had installed the prototype but made changes that didn't work out as planned.  So when I got my kit the crossmember wouldn't work.  He and I talked frequently and he made the needed changes and had a new one made and shipped to me.  And it fit perfectly.  But I was hung up for a while waiting on the new part.

However, the parts themselves are well done and the fasteners are top notch.  So I would buy from Sky's again if I were in the market.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design

salans7
To add to Gary's review, I bought the same kit, and the parts are great and fit well. They did send me too many shackle hanger bolts, but I can't say that's a bad thing.

What I didn't particularly like, is the way my order was processed. I purchased my kit on a holiday sale (Black Friday), and pretty much regret that. Sky appears (based off of their own social media posts) to outsource at least some if not all of their welding (and manufacturing?) and are at the mercy of the secondary players. It seems there are only a few people who work for or with Sky, so the large amount of products they offer can easily overwhelm them, and that's what happened with my order. It was two or three weeks before I heard from anybody (they did put notice on their site of delays due to the sale), but I finally received an unsolicited apology with an update on my order and an approximate ship by date later in the week. The expected date was dead on and I received the product a week after the product was shipped (Oregon to Florida).

Overall I would probably buy from them again if the need arose, but definitely not near a holiday, and definitely not during a sale period. I hope in the future as they continue to grow, they can bring on more people to help speed up their ability to produce and ship the wide range of products on their website.