classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski Boat with a 302

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Next weekend, barring any complications, I'm receiving a "free" project... a 1975 Starcraft 18' ski boat with a 302!

It (and it's trailer) are currently owned by my best friend's aunt; she and her late husband are the original owners. Old enough that neither are titled (but the docs are there to fix that, thankfully).

It hasn't run in 10 years, having died on a lake with what was thought to be an ignition issue. Is mostly stock, but has some sort of a holley 4-barrel upgrade from the stock 2-barrel. From what I read, these have a Mercruiser outdrive. Drinks gas, but who cares?

Also needs a seat fixed... wildlife got into the warehouse it's stored in and shredded part of the rear seat. That'll be a pain in the wallet to fix.

Yes I know what BOAT means... but I've kinda had a thing for boats like this. Long term project?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski Boat with a 302

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A hole in the water into which you toss money?  Or "The best day in your life" is the day in which you buy/sell a boat.  Yes, I know about boats.

If it has been sitting that long then the fuel system is toast.  And getting a tank the correct size may not be easy.  Best hope it isn't rusted through.

As said in the text, a black outdrive is a Mercruiser, and that's better than white (OMC) or gray (Volvo Penta).  But check the outdrive for water in the fluid before attempting to use it.  Plus, the water pump impeller on it will be questionable.

And so the others know I warned you, take spare tires and plan to pack the wheel bearings.  I'd not start on a 180 mile trip w/o servicing the bearings on something that's set for 10 years.

Oh, and lights.  Back then the lights were a major, MAJOR problem.  They always got wet and then rusted/corroded and wouldn't work.  Plan to fix them for the trip home, and a pair of magnetic LED lights with their own wires would be something I'd consider so you don't have to try to repair the whole system on that trailer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'll see about the fuel system. My hope is that it'll be salvageable. They were running premium with lead additive in it. Possibly ethanol-free? A carb rebuild will be a must... and making sure it has a flame arrestor (something I saw in the Indiana boating manual that's required for carbed engines). Legally it has to be a USCG approved one... no tossing in hardware cloth and calling it good. Will research. Edit- just a fancy air cleaner. Easy enough problem to solve if what's there isn't legit.

I've seen pictures of other Starcraft Montego's (at least that's the model I think it is) and they all were mercuisers. The only thing not stock is the 4bbl conversion.

I'm told the wheels were serviced not long before it was parked. I'll give it a good checkup. Same thing for the lights; those were working (and a bulb was replaced) on the last outing. Helps that my friend was there for said outing and remembers a lot of it.

If I get it working, I'll want a "powered by ford" decal for it?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How 'bout valve covers instead?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ratdude747
That looks cool!

Should be a neat project.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Picked it up and towed it home yesterday. No issues.

(This was at my inlaws' house down the road)

Boat is actually a 1977 16' Starcraft Montego. The trailer is a 1975 though. The bad rear seat actually isn't original... so I'll just need to eventually have an upholstery shop make a replacement for the existing replacement (the original ended up as someone's hood ornament when they discovered that one should remove it before towing!)

Tires were in great shape, wheels had zerks and plungers on the bearings and they were frequently topped off. I had it as fast as 75mph in a couple spots and the bearings never got even remotely warm.

Trailer wiring is toast. Had to install a ground wire and replace both bulbs to make the lights work (which aren't even marine lights, ugh). Will be redoing all that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  Glad you got it home safely.  

You can buy kits of LED marine lights that make it a lot easier to re-wire.  And they aren't expensive.

As for trying to fire it up, you need a pair of "muffs" like these on Amazon.  But I might have a pair I'll give you and will check in the shop tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
On that note, there are a few Ford parts I'll need to get that I am not purchasing until after the show on the off chance someone swap meets such. Mainly, some sort of electronic ignition upgrade. Supposedly the ballast resistor (or wire?) is bad and per my friend's dad (who is a retired Ford mechanic among other things), that's what the igntion fault is.

Also, as one would expect on a mercruiser, the trim switch and sender is fried (the trim works but I have to use tilt switch to trim up).Wiring hard as a rock and came out in pieces. Since this is an older alpha-style unit, there is a bolt that apparently requires the gear case to be removed that newer models omit (the common screw is also a pain but can be removed in situ with goofy wrenches and shallow 7/16 u-joint sockets). They also make (or at least made) a DIY kit that bypasses the factory routing (use old wiring to keep hole sealed) and instead has one drill two holes in the gimbal frame and run the wires above the waterline through a pair of transom ports. Ugh... I'm all for easy installation but that sounds a bit hack and since this is a classic, I'd kinda prefer not to go there.

Oh yeah, the battery is 10 years old (10/2013 IIRC) but was disconnected. Connected it up, was able to get trim working (see above), the bilge blower working (isn't mounted and needed leaves cleaned out), and discovered that the neutral switch is probably bypassed (was able to bump the starter with the knob in either position). I have some "general" mercruiser schematics in the glove box (I need to scan those with the other manuals I found). Did find some hacked (cut/scotchlocked) wiring under the instrument panel... cut wire may be the tach wire (if it matches the engine wiring- brown with several splices, scotch lock was a ground to some device mounted under the panel (which included a dead ended red power wire going to the battery area, and wiring to a broken switch). Maybe some sort of foot warmer/dryer?

Something else I noticed and was a bit worried about is that the choke is wired open... the original carb had an electric choke. I take it there isn't a good electric choke addon for formerly manual chokes like this? Or would that entail a new carb?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't remember what carb you have, although I do remember seeing a pic of it that I'm not finding now.  Anyway, can't speak to the choke right now, but I'd think there's an electric choke available for all carbs.

On the trim/tilt, I think you have a wiring problem if you use the tilt switch to trim.  However, IIRC, some of the Merc's used the same switch to both trim and tilt and trimmed to one point and then tilted.  Which do you have - one or two switches?

Scotchlocks have no business being in a boat, nor anywhere else for that matter.  So if you have them you also have bad wiring.  You'll need those schematics.

And what ignition system does it have?  DS-II blue grommet?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
These are waiting for you:

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It's a 4 barrel holley. Has a mechanical choke lever. Next time the cover's off I'll get better pics. For now there's this:

One can see the choke lever and coathanger in view. I guess as pig rich and fair weather this thing runs, choke isn't needed?

The sending unit and limit switch for the trim are completely gone. Rubber wiring fell to chunks. Explains everything. It's a twin switch setup.

Ignition is points. No DS. Thinking a Pertronics is the way to go... no need to swap the dizzy or anything. Not ordered on the off chance somebody has one to swap at the show (upgraded to an MSD or Hyperspark, etc.). But, I'd still need to find the suspected faulty ballast (although the manual says one can bypass if voltage is low... which, per PO's testing, it is... ). Another option would be an HEI...

Thanks on the muffs... crossed it off the buying list.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see if I have a Holley auto choke, but you may need to talk to Bill.

Points?    Do you want to go with a DS-II system?  I might have the parts, but I'll have to look.  However, I know I don't have the ballast resistor, although most parts stores sell the Chrysler one that should work fine.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Missed the bit about HEI.  Read Rene's post about the HEI on his Jeep.  Made it 4 years and 9000 miles.  The problem is we are getting a rash of bad Chinese HEI modules and there are lots of stories like Rene's.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, points. This is 1976 marine!

If I didn't think it'd be a royal pain in the butt to find the parts (as they're so often sought after), DSII wouldn't be bad. But overkill?

I'll do more research on the Pertronix system... if I can bypass the existing ballast wire (or whatever is there), then that'd be an easy enough fix. Just tie into ignition switched power.

Edit- looks like Pertronix makes coils that will run without ballast... IDK. I was told "voltage too low, but we never found a ballast or a ballast wire". On the + side of the coil all that's there are two tan wires crimped together. On the other side is the points connection and another harness connection (presumably the tachometer signal).

Edit 2: Petronix combinations based on a forum post (not here) I found:

Ignitor I: https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-1281-ignitor-ford-8-cyl and https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-40011-flame-thrower-coil-40-000-volt-1-5-ohm-black

Ignitor II (instructions do include removing the ballast resistor/wire): https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-91281-ignitor-ii-adaptive-dwell-control-ford-8-cyl and https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-45011-flame-thrower-ii-coil-45-000-volt-0-6-ohm-black

Ignitor III (Not in forum post, but a coil was in the instructions with a note to remove the ballast wire/resistor): https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-71281-ignitor-iii-adaptive-dwell-control-multiple-spark-with-digital-rev-limiter-ford-8-cyl and https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-44011-flame-thrower-iii-coil-45-000-volt-0-32-ohm-black

Which is best... I dunno. I've read that the Ignitor II is a true upgrade; Ignitor III has multispark capability and an integrated rev limiter. And the ignitor III isn't that much more than the II...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pertronix has been around for a long time and from what I've read have very good systems.  In your application I think I'd go with the Ignitor II system because I think it'll do everything you need and save a little bit over the III.  Besides, Bill will come on and say he doesn't trust a system that has to spark multiple times to get its job done.  

And pair that with a 40111 epoxy coil since they say "epoxy filled coils provide superior winding support for high vibration environments in off-road vehicles and boats".  Plus, as you pointed out, their instructions say "REMOVE OR BYPASS EXTERNAL BALLAST RESISTOR OR RESISTANCE WIRE WHEN INSTALLING THE RECOMENDED FLAME-THROWER COIL."

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Sounds like a plan for next week...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your carb is on the left and one I have for you is on the right.  Perhaps Jim or Bill can tell us the differences?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can't detail all the differences, but marine carbs are Coast Guard compliant. They have sealed shafts and vents that won't overflow outside, but down the bore.
There may be other details I don't recall. If safety inspection and insurance are on your mind these details are important.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  That's basically what I was looking for.

So his is a marine carb.  But will the choke from mine fit his?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It would be good if he could get a photo of the list# and date code from the front of the choke horn.

I've worked on more than a few marine engines (that's where I first spotted my valve covers) but I'm no marine mechanic.

Yes, I do think your electric choke will swap right over, but keep in mind Ford specific (Motorcraft) carbs are set up for 7V from the stator wire.
If Larry's (spark arrestor equipped) marine alternator doesn't have an external stator stud, that may complicate installation.
Also, there is a marine specific Holley 12V electric choke (45-258 2300)

I've tagged Bill. 😉
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.