classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Site Formatting Question & Possible Solution

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - Bill/85lebaront2 sent me several docs that I'm in the process of scanning and have been wondering where to put them.  Here's what he sent:

Kelsey Electric Brake Controller Installation Instructions
1990: F-Series Operating Guide; F-Series Owner Guide; F-Series & Bronco Maint Sched & Log; Warranty Info Booklet
1995 F-Series Maint Sched
1996: F-Series Owner Guide; F-Series Maint Sched

Some may wonder why include them in a Bullnose repository, but they have info that could be helpful to many of us.  For instance, Bill's Darth is basically a '96 inside.  And I have a ZF5 and D60 in Big Blue and they are covered in those doc's.  Plus the E4OD in Dad's truck.  So I'll include them as they could be very useful.

But the question was where?  We've heretofore had the Manuals & Literature page (Documentation/Manuals & Literature) that just included 1980 - 86.  But we already had the '95 and '96 brochures on the site.  So I decided to expand the M&L page to go out to '96 and that's where I'm placing the later stuff.  And I put the Kelsey brake controller down below that in Other Publications because it isn't year-specific.

Hope y'all like that, but it gives me an easy place to put things.  And it should make it easier for you to find things.

But please let me know what you think?  And if you have a Better Idea then please let me know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Site Formatting Question & Possible Solution

grumpin
That’s great Gary! Thanks to you and to Bill. You can never have to much info.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's my thinking as well, Dane.  Thanks!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, that's the place where it seems natutal to be found, where I would have search firstly.

However, I have a newbie question:  Is there a more direct way to reach this litterature section of the website?
The path I use is really not intuitive:
1-Bullnose Forum Homepage;
2-Then "Resources" pinned item;
3-Then "Documentation" pinned item;
4-Then read Gary's intro and find the "literature'" hyperlink in the text;
5-And boom, finally access the table of available documents.

Each time it takes me couple of minutes to remember the "trick".
Is there a more direct route?

Thanks Gary for your nice work!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yikes!  I'd forgotten about that approach to things.

The best way is to use the menu and go to Documentation/Manuals & Literature.  Or you can bookmark it.

And thanks.  Glad it is helping.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok folks, I need some help.  I've been looking at the Manuals & Literature spreadsheet on my computers and it works well.  But I just looked at it on my phone and it doesn't work so well.

Basically the issue is that the Excel feature of being able to freeze panes doesn't appear to work for embedded spreadsheets.  (I've asked for help in the Microsoft Tech Community, so maybe someone can help.)  So when you scroll down the sheet you lose the years at top, and when you scroll over you lose the row headings on the left.

So I'm looking for ways to make it more usable for mobile users.  One thought was to split the years by placing 1980 - 86 on one tab and 87 - 96 on another tab.  But that doesn't fix the years at the top, just the headings on the left.

So, what can y'all think of?  How can we make this better?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I think I helped things.  I replaced "On Site" with the year of the publication.  IOW, in the 1980 column all of the "On Sites" now read "1980", and the same is true for each year.  So as you scroll down it is easy to tell what year something is.

And, I changed the "1980" at the top of that column to "80", etc all the way across to "96".  That let me make each column skinnier so the whole spreadsheet is narrower and there is less side-to-side scrolling needed.

However, I haven't truly solved the side-to-side scrolling issue.  Until I figure out something there you'll just have to keep your eyes on the row you are interested in if you are on a mobile device.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good! I have a question, where did you find the DeeZee lited running board information? Now all I need is a list of replacement parts for mine.

Darth has the crew cab length running boards and bed side dually boards neither of which are still manufactured. DeeZee was helpful in getting me something I could use to replace the rusted supports and I replaced all the original steel hardware with CRES from Fastenal in Hampton VA. Mine are the extruded aluminum ones depicted in the instructions and were originally lited. The end caps were in rough shape, so at least two are reproductions made from some stuff we had in the lab at NNS. Two best were used as patterns as there are two styles and they are mirror images.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks, Bill.

I think the DeeZee info came from Scott/kramttocs, but I'm not sure.  I probably should document those things.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, I have a bunch of the later Emissions manuals, and... they are loose leaf design! From 1995 there are two, OBD-I and OBD-II.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Those might be very helpful to have on the site.  And, easy to scan!  I'll pay the shipping.