classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Single Rail Overdrive 4x4 Manual Transmission

JimJam300
This post was updated on .
I'm swapping out my Single Rail Overdrive (SROD) 4x4 transmission and selling it. I can verify that gears 1-3 work fine, I'm not sure about 4th because I never got the truck going fast enough to use it. It either has 67k miles or 167k miles, but I'm thinking it's 67k. I am asking $200, which is totally negotiable.

If you are interested, but don't know about the SROD: it is a full-synchro, aluminum-case, 3 speed plus overdrive. It uses a mechanical clutch. Part of the RUG-series of transmissions built by Ford. It's not for performance and it probably doesn't like towing. It will bolt up to an NP208 transfer case, the common manual transmission crossmember, and the common Ford bellhousings. I measured it, and it's the same length as a Borg Warner T19 + adapter.

It's either one of these two gear ratios:
Ratio #1: 3.01 1st, 1.78 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.79 4th and 3.01 Rev.
Ratio #2: 3.25 1st, 1.92 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.78 4th and 3.25 Rev.
I can find out later on which one it is.

Parts included:
-SROD transmission
-4x4 adapter/shifter housing
-Shifter assembly with knob
-NP208 shifter assembly with knob
-Floorboard cover
-Shifter boots

Basically all the parts you need for a conversion, but I cannot include the bellhousing, I need it.

Available for pickup in the Sacramento, CA area. I'm willing to drive a little ways if needed. Sometimes I take road trips into neighboring states as well. If you want it shipped, we can figure something out.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Single Rail Overdrive 4x4 Manual Transmission

Rembrant
I think the SROD's were fairly rare in a 4x4 weren't they? Very interesting trans, and I'm a big fan of anything with OD, so if I had a project for it, I'd install one of these in a heartbeat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the SROD that places the 4x4 shifter to the right of the transmission shifter doesn't it? It's unique, in that the shifters are almost side by side, and on the opposite sides of each other than typical.

Good luck with the sale. The way gas prices are going, transmissions with OD will only gain in popularity going forward imho.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by JimJam300
That is very interesting...

... and close
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark!  Old home week!  First we have Paul/Rogue_Wulff chiming in, and now you.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I'm always around, Gary!  

As the site has grown, the expertise of the group has come to the point I learn more by hanging back and trying to absorb it all.

My little sad ox just made the trip to Missoula and back last month bringing more empty wine barrels to my brother for cider.  With the weight she was sure-footed in the compact snow. It was a proud moment tempered with the crazy amount spent on gas.  I could have used an OD.  One might say I paid for the privilege of bragging rights.

My only mishaps were a flat outside Jerome ID and someone trying to rip the rear plate off while at dinner at my favorite midway stop in Arco. The flat was an easy repair, but I was glad for that tire - sized circle of marine plywood I stow under the spare for a dry spot to work.

Lots of fun conversations at each gas stop.  I felt a little bad exposing her to the magnesium chloride, although the MDT says they also use corrosion inhibitors.

Stay warm out your way.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad you are "always around".  But yes, the expertise of the group has really grown so I, too, learn by reading.

So, now I understand the interest in the SROD tranny.  Yes, an overdrive can definitely make a difference - both in MPG as well as a relaxed feel while on the highway.

A flat on one of these trucks is no fun, especially if the spare is below the bed.  But glad you had the right equipment.  However, someone tried to rip the rear plate off?  And didn't get the job done?  Glad they didn't get it, but hope they didn't do much damage.

As for the warmth, it has come back.  At 6:00 AM it is 37F, which is much higher than the highs a few days ago when we weren't getting over 20F.  But compared to last year we aren't doing too badly.

I guess you've seen that I'm installing that EFI harness you got me a few years ago?  I sure am thankful for it.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
A pretty cool conclusion to that chapter.  One more onion layer peeled with less tears at the end!

I've been keeping records on where all the parts on my truck come from-through members and ebay and Craigslist.  Someday I'll make my own map.

In the meantime you have a little bit of NorCal in yours.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I think the SROD's were fairly rare in a 4x4 weren't they? Very interesting trans, and I'm a big fan of anything with OD, so if I had a project for it, I'd install one of these in a heartbeat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the SROD that places the 4x4 shifter to the right of the transmission shifter doesn't it? It's unique, in that the shifters are almost side by side, and on the opposite sides of each other than typical.
Yes pretty rare, I've only seen a picture of one once when I was doing my T19 swap research. Even then the 2WD ones don't seem to be very common based on the limited discussions on Foxbody Mustang forums. All of this looking around led me to the conclusion that it's not the transmission I want. Shifters are in opposite positions from normal like you said, which is why I'm including the special transfer case shifter and linkage that puts it on the passenger side.

Dyn Blin wrote
That is very interesting...

... and close
If you're in Sonoma I'm actually closer than you think: in Winters. I will warn you that as far as I know, this transmission in all forms only sat behind 300s in trucks and up to 302s in Mustangs. Parts probably aren't easy to come by either. If you're just genuinely curious maybe you could swing by and look at it. I just pressure washed it yesterday and removed the bellhousing.

1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
We had a member on here named Ray Cecil that had an '82 Flareside 4x4 with that SROD trans it in.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Little-Blue-82-tp25913.html

He left the forum a while ago, and has since sold that truck, but I did see it pop up somewhere again recently. Was the new owner on here Gary? I did see pics of it posted somewhere and the new owner saying it was ray's old truck...I just can't remember where I saw that. It was either on here or on FB.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't remember, Cory.  Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I remember someone saying he had Ray’s old truck, must have been on here.

But I don’t remember anymore about it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
I remember someone saying he had Ray’s old truck, must have been on here.

But I don’t remember anymore about it.

Here it is...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/A-familiar-blue-bullnose-tp108533.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Cory.  I was searching for "Ray" and "bought", but now I see that he said "purchased".  No wonder I didn't find it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Joediveguy
Hey Y'all. That is a good tranny. I have one in my 1981 Bronco 4.9. I wish you were closer, I'd pick it up for a spare.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hey, Joe.  The email you were sent asked you to go introduce yourself in the New Members Start Here folder.  That's 'cause we want you to have had every opportunity to read the guidelines, which are stored in the NMSH folder.  So please assure me that you've read them?

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
SOLD