Side glass replacement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Side glass replacement

Mark
I've got SEVERAL things  to do this coming weekend on my truck, one of which is installing a new (used from eBay) passenger side window. I've swapped in several windows over the years. (I'm pretty good at hitting them with rocks while mowing) but I've never installed one in an 1984 Ford. It's got manual windows and I've pulled the door panel and looked. The last Ford side glass I swapped was in a crown Vic and I seem to remember I drilled out some rivets and installed with bolts where the rivets had been... At any rate I tried searching through the forums for any tips but I didn't come across anything. Does anyone know of a thread with any tips/tricks for doing a window replacement?
1984, f150 short bed straight six AOD.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Side glass replacement

RenoHuskerDu
We've used goolagtube videos to replace Bully, Bricky, and Aeronose windows.  All are basically the same. You'll have a thick  rivet to drill out if you remove the motor. Be sure you have the right rivets in stock to replace it. But you don't have to do that for the glass.

There is a trick for getting rid of the up/down play in the mechanism. It involves replacing a rivet with a nut/bolt, iirc. But we haven't had to replace that Bully's window yet so we haven't done that trick.

Be sure to lube up sliding channels in there with silicone grease. You don't want to have to go back in.

And have a look at your rubber/felt channels. Now would be a good time to renew them. Replacements are available from fleabay or LMC.

FYI
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Mark
It's not terribly complicated. I just roll the window all the way down, then tilt it a bit to pop it out of the track. It's only held in by the track on either side, and the channel at the bottom of the glass that the square thing on the regulator arm slides into.

If you can tilt it enough and move the window winder to a position where the square thing is near the end of the channel (usually about halfway up) you should be able to slide the square out of the channel and free the glass.

The new glass already has the channel at the bottom, right? Clean that out good and put in a suitable lubricant. I like white lithium grease for that.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Thanks for the info, the YouTube videos I'd checked were for bullnose years only I didn't realize the brick nose doors were the same setup. Just hadn't worked on these before. Absolutely will be changing all rubber and felt I'll likely not do that right now, but before this build is said and done it will be done. Need the glass in for now just to keep out the rain.

I appreciate the tips!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
It is simply complicated. haha
Seriously though. The hardest  part is being patient. I start with window rolled up. Remove the bolt retaining the rear lower track. 7/16 wrench. Do not remove the track !! Roll the window down and then you can move the window backwards out of the front track and towards the outer shell of the door and slide the glass and the mount forward off of the regulator arm plastic guide. Then come up and out through the top door opening at a slight angle. Install in reverse.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I did not have to deal with any rivets on my 81.
I cant remember if I took the regulator out or not at this time and if so that would have been the only thing the rivets held in.

I can tell you they  make different vent window frames dividers, thin & wide, and because of that the main glasses will be different but I think you only run into that if using 87> parts in <86 doors.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
Thanks y'all. I got it in, only problem was it appears what I got from eBay is from another year or generation that doesn't work. When I removed the metal piece that was left from the broken window, it was like the width of the glass. The one shipped to me had a channel that is roughly 8 inches and that's it. Being inexperienced with the inner workings of these trucks, I just went with it assuming that maybe there were different styles. So I did get it installed, but It's not the right window. Close but not the right fit. So today I hit the scrapyard for parts for this truck and a jeep that I've been building on for years. I came across LOTS of really good parts to include the correct glass for this door. And infact, I hate to rat hole all the good parts, but I went ahead and pulled the driver's side as well. I'd like rather have them on hand Incase I need them in the future. And to be honest I'm probably gonna pull another set next trip. They weren't but $20 a piece and I've got ample storage for them so might as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
At some point you will be happy that you pulled all those parts.  I certainly am happy that I have an attic full of parts.  It is rare that I need a part or some wiring that I can't find it in my attic.  Go for it!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Never feel bad about saving parts from being destroyed. If you have them and you find that someone needs them . Work something out! Both will win.  We all know the struggle of “ not available “ at any price.  Save those parts!
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
You could have had my set from my '84 for the cost of shipping. Listed in "Market place". Shipping may have been more than the $20 junk yard windows though.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.