Selling the 85, what would you say is a fair price?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Selling the 85, what would you say is a fair price?

jstone4646
This post was updated on .
Like the title suggests, I am selling the 85 to make some profit for the 84 project.  Looking for what you guys would say the fair price would be for her.

First off, mileage: dash says 83k, obviously these are 5 digit odometers so it could be 83, 183, or even 283.  The virginia title when it was originally purchased by the previous owner in 2014 says 77k which lines up with his story of his use and mileage....but someone could have just easily fibbed to the DMV along the way and not mentioned the 1 or 2 in front of that number...or she could very well be a low mileage truck...I have no proof one way or the other.
XLT
4x2
351w
dual tanks
Auto transmission which is a Jasper that has 3000 miles on it
Runs and drives
Brakes need to be done
Entire ignition system is new from the battery to the distributor
Tires are great
Interior is not too bad, dash pad is gone as you can tell by the towel
Exterior is decent for the age but not really any shine left, dent in the top of the tailgate
All the electronics, lights, heat/AC, etc all work
Driver side window motor sounds like it might be failing, it works, but barely, struggles a lot.

And just for info, the stains on the ground are not from this truck

All in with purchase price and parts I am sitting at about $625
My initial thought was $1800, but I am new to these trucks so I may be high, I may be low, opinions please!

Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Selling the 85, what would you say is a fair price?

blackdog
where are you located?
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Chesapeake, VA
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by jstone4646
The "where" question is very valid as the prices vary dramatically by the region of the country.  For instance, in the Pacific Northwest these trucks are cheap and in good shape.  In the North East they are expensive and rusted hulks.  But I dunno about VA.  It would seem like that's far enough from snow or ice that rust isn't prevalent.

Anyway, here is OK that would probably be a $2500 truck.  It is in better shape than Rusty, which was an '81 F150 regular cab long bed 4wd, and I got $2500 for him.  Yes, yours is 2wd, but it is in better shape.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI