classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Seatbelt Question

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're right Gary. The aeros might too, right up until the '96 restyle.
But I'm not sure, like I am that the Bricks definitely fit.

What color seat are you looking for Josh?
And, excuse me if I forgot where you're located.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
I'm in Western NJ on the border of New Hope PA. 

I would like a red one to match but anything that is in decent shape works. 

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 8:17 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're right Gary. The aeros might too, right up until the '96 restyle.
But I'm not sure, like I am that the Bricks definitely fit.

What color seat are you looking for Josh?
And, excuse me if I forgot where you're located.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Seatbelt-Question-tp69077p69282.html
To unsubscribe from Seatbelt Question, click here.
NAML
Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm familiar with Bucks County.

Let me see what I can shake loose when I get back to Connecticut.
I have to make a trip down to my sister's in Swarthmore to drop off some garden furniture.
A side stop would be no big deal.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks Jim! Very kind of you. I'll take the passenger seat out and pull back the carpet to see what's what. I have my neighbors yard to work in for the next 10 days while they are away.

Plan is to do the front shocks, HEI dizzy and start figuring out electrical issues. There are no dash lights for instance.
I also just got the stock air cleaner and a new set of door locks.

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow, you're making great strides Josh!  

As I often say, Progress is GOOD!

I don't know who's parting a truck with red interior, or what condition it might be in.
But when I get 'home' I will definitely ask around
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Welp, re-installed the speedometer cable with the new gear today. I have not gone for a ride to see if it works.

I have a light engine tap I did not hear before. I had changed the oil and added 5 quarts. But I think that should be six quarts so I added one to bring the oil up to level on the stick. Still a light valve tap or something.

I took out the passenger seat to see what was what. This is what is under the seat:

Still looking for a bench seat. Guessing I'm missing a stock set of seat rails ? I left the driver seat in for now so I can move the truck around.

Thanks!
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It looks like they drilled a few extra holes, but you should have the original ones in there.  The illustration below, from our page at Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks shows how the bench seats attach.  Note that the front attachment point is on the slanted part of the floor.

Maybe you can find yours to ensure they are there?  And I can get measurements if you need to tell you where to look.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You just need to find the stiffening flange from below.

The nuts are tacked right on there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks! Here is a pic of the slant on the floor. Looks like they filled the mount In.
Installed new door locks today. There was no key for the old ones. One of those 10 minute jobs that took 2 hours.

I got a new LMS catalog today. Very exciting . I have not had a paper catalog in years.

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Look underneath.  They may have just stuffed something in there.

Yes, I never find that a "10 minute job" takes that little time.  They always take me several times more than expected.  

As for the catalog, one of our members is head of LMC's Ford R&D department.  Check out this thread.  He is a stickler for detail and has assured us that the term Stepside will not appear in their Ford catalogs in the future.  Instead the correct term of Flareside will be used.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Hi Everyone,

I may have found a 1984 F-250 with a decent brown seat in a junkyard about a half hour from me.
I will most likely go tomorrow and check it out.

I purchased these seat belts on E-Bay from Steve's House of Speed but I do not think they will work and they have been non responsive to questions so I will prob return them.

They have the retractor on the bottom and mine are on the top of the pillar. Their e-bay listing said they fit 1980-86 but I don't see the retractor fitting on the floor where the original bolts down right now.

I have both the original belts mounted on the side so I really only need the receiver ends.

I am hoping the F-250 in the junkyard will have the original seat belts and other goodies.

I have the relay now so I can finish the HEI Distributor install and hopefully it will start so I can set the timing.

That's the update!

Thanks,
Josh

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The seat belt retractor moved to a foot or so from the floor for '87 model year.

Are you saying the belt is fixed at the top end, and not that the retractor runs up through it, to the buckle and across, back to the fixed end at the floor?

From the photo, I don't see the problem???
Is there no space at the bottom of the cab corner?

Great progress Josh

You'll be registered and driving in no time!  👍

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Hi Jim,

If you look at my pic the retractor is at the top and the male end of the belt connector is at the top with it.
This one looks like the retractor should be at the bottom ?

I may be getting confused as this looks like a 3 point install now that you motivated me to go out to the truck in the rain and bring it inside.  

But I still don't see how to install unless I cut the 3rd mounting point bracket off.

Apologies for the ignorance. I have owned a lot of old cars and I never had to deal with seat belts before.
I can pull and re-install a VW bug or bus engine in 3 hours but I probably spent twice that on this aspect of getting the truck going.

Still hoping the junkyard with the seat has the belts also.

Thanks again,
Josh

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Run the belt from the retractor up to the top of the B piliar, bolt the 'sling' in place.
Put the tounge in the reciver (part you need) and put the fixed end back under the retractor, then bolt both the retractor and the fixed end to the floor.

Be careful of how the belt has to twist.
Perhaps leave one side in place to compare as you go.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks, I will check this out tomorrow. It seems that the retractor does not fit in the space on the floor where the current belt bolts to.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh! .....that could be a problem.
Mine bolts to the B pillar, so I can't really tell you.

Think of this as a continuous loop, with a lap belt adjuster and a pulley at the shoulder, so the retractor can tension your upper body without restraining you until it sees deceleration and locks up.
 Jim,