Seat ideas?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seat ideas?

BreadPlus
Right now I've got the original leather bench in my truck. It's nice, but i like my cloth seat in my 93 a lot more. Would it be worthwhile to keep the original bench or to look for a different one, such as a 40/20/40, 50/50, or buckets with center console? I quite like the look of 87-91 cloth 40/20/40 benches but those seats are hard to find in good condition, being in the junkyard and all.

I may also just throw a knitted blanket over it too, if I keep the original seat.

Thoughts on what I should do?
'80 F250; currently sitting
'93 F150; extended cab short bed with 4.9/m5od, DD
'86 and '87 Bronco II; offroad toy project
'92 Ranger; race toy project
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat ideas?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
"Original leather"?  I didn't know leather was an option on these.

As for seating, have you looked at our page on Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?  It might help you figure out what it would take to put buckets and a console, or a 40/20/40 seat, in your truck.

But I like the idea of a 40/20/40 seat.  Some have a drop-down arm rest, and the "40" bit is closer to a bucket than a bench.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by BreadPlus
BreadPlus wrote
Right now I've got the original leather bench in my truck. It's nice, but i like my cloth seat in my 93 a lot more. Would it be worthwhile to keep the original bench or to look for a different one, such as a 40/20/40, 50/50, or buckets with center console? I quite like the look of 87-91 cloth 40/20/40 benches but those seats are hard to find in good condition, being in the junkyard and all.

I may also just throw a knitted blanket over it too, if I keep the original seat.

Thoughts on what I should do?
You can have your seat recovered in any material.  Original for my truck was blue vinyl but once I track down an original bench seat I am going blue leather as the vinyl didnt stand up to wear and tear that easily.

I personally dont like cloth as they stain easily but that is just my preference.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BreadPlus
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
If it isn't leather, it's vinyl. Shiny black material, whatever it is.

It's all basically drilling holes and adding washers or bars that run the width of the floor for extra reinforcement. That's all settled and fairly easy to do.

I'm going to the JY to pick up an extra cluster and scope out the various seats. Hopefully there's a bench or 2 in grey. I have seen mention of benches up to 2006 superdutys bolting in, so thats a gigantic range. At LEAST '80-06, good feeling ford used the same seat frame in the early 70's.
'80 F250; currently sitting
'93 F150; extended cab short bed with 4.9/m5od, DD
'86 and '87 Bronco II; offroad toy project
'92 Ranger; race toy project
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by BreadPlus
I also have the original bench seat in my truck and had considered putting in buckets and a console. However, my bench seat is in very good condition, as I've had an old saddle style cover over it since new. Ultimately, I chose to recover with another saddle style cover and purchased a console from Classic Consoles. I saved a lot of money and time going this route and I love it.  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I should add that I, too, have a console by Classic Consoles and love it.  I was skeptical at first as I thought it would be a problem folding the seatback forward, but it isn't.  One of the best additions I've done.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI