classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Schematic, TACHOMETER pcb

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, some of them said Unleaded Fuel Only, and one of our members has a truck that says so both places.  I know 'cause I drove the truck and he pointed it out.  Let's see if he rises to the bait.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Interesting. I’ve not seen it on the filler plate with that on it before. The cluster mask said unleaded fuel only on the catalyst gas engine models, and was blank on the non-catalyst 460 trucks, medium duty clusters etc., and of course the 6.9 trucks said diesel fuel only. For what it’s worth, the unleaded fuel only wording is just white paint and will come off with rubbing alcohol. I’ve got a couple extra manual block off plates in my stash, but if they are getting hard to find perhaps I should grab a few more...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's a good friend, called Alabam by some, that has it both places on his little red truck.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, some of them said Unleaded Fuel Only, and one of our members has a truck that says so both places.  I know 'cause I drove the truck and he pointed it out.  Let's see if he rises to the bait. 
As Lurch on The Adam's Family would say, "You rang"?
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
There's a good friend, called Alabam by some, that has it both places on his little red truck.  
And you can bet that only unleaded fuel goes into its tank!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But, do you need two reminders, and in close proximity, to make sure you don't put any in?  Or, would you like to simplify your dash?

As for Lurch, when we were in France several years ago there was an SUV that we nicknamed Lurch.  It was UGLY, and had a strange resemblance to that gentleman.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
But, do you need two reminders, and in close proximity, to make sure you don't put any in?  Or, would you like to simplify your dash?
If this is David’s truck... is it possible the second “unleaded fuel only” label is actually on his medium duty tach face? This is one place that I ~have seen the label and it would explain the redundancy:

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bingo!  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yes, Jonathan, but the letters are highlighted white.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Dumb question time.... Can I use a newer tach on an older bullnose (83 bronco) without changing the pcb plastic at the back of the cluster?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, as long as your printed circuit is the one that supports a tach.  There are three circuits:

With warning lights & no tach

With gauges and no tach

With gauges and with tach

As shown here (Electrical/Gauges) the circuit for 1981 - 86 clusters that will support a tach will be marked E1TF 10C956-BA.

If yours won't support a tach you can swap either the printed circuit or the whole cluster.  Or, you can hard-wire the 4 wires to the tach.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Excellent! There is a tach there, it just works less as time goes by... seems like a sticky needle..

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Hello again all,
Sorry I went away for a minute but I'm I'll & every so often I crash & am unable to do anything. I never expected this thread to get so long, wow!! Couple of you have offered up parts &/or whole tach's. Please send pm if the boards or tach's are still available. I bought one from fleaBay (against my gut instinct) and got a
non-functional unit. It's on the way back to the seller, unless he wants to refund a portion of my money.
Gary, I started going through boxes of books etc in the attic, stopped when I found the 1980 EVTM but I'm sure I have others. Do you want me to send any to you so you can add them to your site??
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sully - I'm sorry for your issues.  And it isn't a problem for us if you go away for a bit.

And thanks for the offer on the EVTM.  But David found me the two I was missing in the 1980 - 86 range, so I'll have the whole set soon.  (But getting them on the site may take a while as EVTM's are labor-intensive to add.  However, I may research new ways of doing that.  Hmmmm!)

But might you have other than EVTM's in your attic?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Thanks Gary, I've been dealing with being sick for awhile now, kinda used to it. I already went past the expiration date the doctor's gave so every day is a blessing.
I'm certain I have other interesting books/papers etc in the attic. It's a matter of finding the right boxes. When I got sick my ex-wife & daughter moved everything from my place to my ex's, no boxes marked, I have to go through them 1 by 1. I found the '80 EVTM in the bottom of a box novels. It's really really hot in the attic right now so may takes me awhile. I'll keep you updated, though.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sully - I’m so sorry!  Every day is a blessing for all of us, but many of us don’t yet understand that like you do.

As for the literature, I’m interested but am in no hurry. Take your time and wait for things to cool down.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834
I like leftovers, my wife gives them to me all the time!
I spent the afternoon checking all the wiring to the cluster all was okay so I'll be glad to buy the leftover boards from you. Just let me know when and how.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue,
Tell me what you want for it I'll take it off your hands. I figure the more parts the better, I should be able to make a functioning one out of what I have & what I can pick up.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I switched them out today. New one worked, then didn’t, then did.... cleaned the main cluster and it all works great.

I suspect my old tach fully works . Send me you address and I will send it on to you for the price of postage 😎

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Thanks, message sent. Even if it doesn't work I can still use it to get one working.
Sully