Saddle Paint Match

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saddle Paint Match

stanr5686

Looking through the threads since becoming a member, I’ve seen several post about substituting paint colors to match Ford colors. I found that Krylon Colormaxx Gloss Equestrian is a very good match for Saddle on my interior plastics. In the two pictures of the dash, only the dash pad has been painted with the Krylon. The bottom, around the vents, has not it’s original 41 yr. old Saddle. The door panel doesn't look quit as good as the dash. I’m thinking it’s a different type plastic. The windshield post cover has also been painted with the same  Krylon  Equestrian. You can’t tell in the picture but it looks good too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saddle Paint Match

stanr5686
I'm sorry about the large size of the pictures!
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
That looks really good.

What is the SKU: number on the can of paint?

Can you also give us the trim code of your truck, located on the certification label?

I'm thinking the original Ford Color name is Nutmeg.  (Can't tell colors well on a computer monitor though.)

Nutmeg had a tendency to get darker as it ages. Like the arm rests pictured.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by stanr5686
That really does look good!  What prep is needed for plastic?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

stanr5686
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
81-F150-Explorer wrote
That looks really good.

What is the SKU: number on the can of paint?

Can you also give us the trim code of your truck, located on the certification label?

I'm thinking the original Ford Color name is Nutmeg.  (Can't tell colors well on a computer monitor though.)

Nutmeg had a tendency to get darker as it ages. Like the arm rests pictured.

All I can make out is 5G & 9A. There may be something in between them but I can't tell. I'm gonna get out my papers where I bought it new and see what I can find. That Nutmeg sounds familiar but I'm pretty sure the interior color was called Saddle. I was looking at dash pads before I fixed and patched mine and kept seeing saddle.
Reply | Threaded
|

stanr5686
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I just cleaned it real good with rubbing alcohol to get any oil off. The door panels were the dirtiest and they seemed to soak up the paint more.  
Gary Lewis wrote
That really does look good!  What prep is needed for plastic?
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by stanr5686
5G and 9A are the exterior paint codes.  Primary color first, Secondary color second etc...

5G is Dark Caramel metallic or "Med" Caramel metallic depending on the literature you look at.

9A is Wimbledon White.

-----------------------------------

The BODY code is the one I need.   It is a three digit code. Example:   BT4

The interior paint code is the middle letter.

The Nutmeg code is letter T.

-----------------------

The first letter is the seat trim code, and the last number is the back of cab code, which will be 4 as your truck is a styleside bed.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gotta be careful with gloss on the interior—it should be a satin.  I temporarily painted mine a year ago and it was gloss—the sun does not play well with the eyes when it hits, this is why most interiors—like from SEM are satin.

In one pic it looks like it fish eyed a bit and boy do I know about that!  Plagued me in my restore of exterior. I learned a lot from that mistake.

For interior:  SEM makes a prep and cleaner, and a plastic adhesion promoter (which is needed) to go over the primer (which is a flexible primer to increase durability) and prepare the topcoat. That would flatten out any eye balling/separation.  

HOWEVER, your paint match is shockingly close! And it went down rather well. I like the saddle interiors on our Fords.  Nice job.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)