SHOULD I TURN ON VIEWING OPTIONS ON VOTES?????

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SHOULD I TURN ON VIEWING OPTIONS ON VOTES?????

Frank Wyatt
Yes I agree this must have been a lot of work on Gary's end and I really appreciate ll he has done for us all with this site. I am hopeful that the votes will increase over the weekend as I still remember the lack of time I had when I was still working before my forced retirement by semi-truck. Thanks Gary!
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  It has been a lot of work, but even with the low vote count it has been worth it.  To see all of the trucks entered as well as the write-ups, that's been truly amazing!  

Is there any reason to extend the voting?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Still the same number since yesterday afternoon.  hard to say whats going on, it looks like only 29 people have voted.   Hopefully people will vote today.  I have to say, getting an ugly truck vote really stings.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm hoping that more vote today.  But Sundays are typically kind of slow.

As for the Ugliest Truck vote, think how Bill is feeling - Darth has 7 votes to your 1.  Maybe this category wasn't a good idea?  I hate hurting people's feelings.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
It's ok reallly, it just kind of hurts.  I could imagine how Bill is feeling right now.  I really didn't like the catagory.  But in the end, it is what it is.    No worries here
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
It's ok reallly, it just kind of hurts.  I could imagine how Bill is feeling right now.  I really didn't like the catagory.  But in the end, it is what it is.    No worries here
 That's just weird, your truck is perfectly nice looking.

Maybe in the future one should have to self-nominate for this category?  There are plenty of people who take pride in how awful their trucks look, after all.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
its really hard to say why somebody would call my truck ugly, maybe they dont like the color, maybe jelous, who knows. i guess beauty is left to the eye of the beholder
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Maybe having to nominate your truck for any category is a good idea... Most entrants seemed to write up there entries 'aiming' for a certain category anyway, emphasizing originality, upgrades etc. Discussion for another day I think.

I'll just echo everyone else, THANK YOU GARY! Glad you're not too upset about the voting turnout. The number of entries was at least high, right? Maybe our members just aren't fans of the democratic process...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
I wouldn’t take that vote too seriously. There are a few nominations for ugly truck there that are off base. Probably pranks.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I knew Darth was going to give me some trouble, but I got some votes it looks like :)  I only entered because I had a shot at ugly lol

Gary, I noticed a few things during this virtual truck show I wanted to point out that might make the next one a bit smoother.  Had you not extended the voting I wouldn't have gotten to vote.  I got real busy of late.  I put in a long night reading through all the entries and dozed off a couple of times before I made it though them all.  The best engine category gave me a lot of trouble.  I didn't know what criteria to vote on.  Some entrants had massive write-ups describing their engine build, but never took a photo of the engine bay at all, so those weren't even considered.  I think it would help if the format was more standard.  I'm thinking a list of what to photograph(with an example) would make it easier to judge.  I don't mind the ugly truck category, I think its all in good fun.  One thing I might change is to allow entrants to pick what categories they want to be voted in.  

I think for the technical categories it wouldn't hurt to have a handful of forum members selected beforehand to be judges for those categories and have open voting on categories like best story and peoples favorite.  More time wouldn't upset me either.  I got in late, barely before the first deadline.  But I've been absent for awhile so not sure how much advance notice I would have had if I hadn't been.  I could also go for a thread format on entrants so you can ask questions about the stuff you can't easily see.  I feel like you can't get near as good of an idea about a truck from a photo as you could from meeting the owner and sticking your head under the hood.  On that note, I thought everyone had to take a photo with their truck?  Seems like that would disqualify most of the entries.

This show has been fun so far, and with a little work I could see this being a regular thing.
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
its lookin like its going to be a very very low turn out.  I noticed something else as well.  In the rules it states to have a pic of yourself with your truck as if you were at a truck show.  i dont see that many people in there entries
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by CliftonK
Ditto. I didn't write/shoot my entries for any categories in particular (not even closest to stock, IMHO I was already beat in that category by one of the earlier entries).

That said, no trucks I can say I truely dislike. I'm not huge on Broncos or shortened long beds... but that's just me, I understand why people like them (and I tried to take as much of that out of my voting!).

I'm surprised at some of the votes I am getting. Then again, I am my harshest critic, so I dunno.

Win or lose, this was a lot of fun... Thanks Gary!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions.  We'll take them into consideration in the future.

As for having a picture with your truck, the statement was "And please include a pic of yourself by your truck...."  It wasn't a requirement, but now that you guys mention it I was one that didn't.  

On the classes or categories, remember that this was in place of the in-person show so we were doing it in that vein where everyone can be considered for any class.  So that's why we continued that theme.

Similarly the in-person show gives voting rights to everyone that comes to the show, regardless of whether or not they enter.  But, as I think about it, we deviated from that.  If we'd done it in that mode we'd have allowed everyone on the internet to vote, not just members.  But, if we did that someone could get all of their friends to vote for their truck and stack the deck.  

As for asking questions about a truck, that would require that we put each entry up in a thread, not a web page, so you could respond.  We could do that.  It wouldn't be that much harder as I think about it.

Anyway folks, keep those cards and letters coming in!

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary, when does voting end?  it still says the 18 in the truck show part
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot to update that.  

But the bottom of each poll shows when it ends.  Or at least it shows me.  Does it show you?

Roughly at 10:30 CDT tonight.  Each one is different as it was exactly four days from when I posted them and it took me a while to prove each one and hit "post".

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Yes Gary, it says it at the bottom of each poll
Nick and George
Owned since new