Ryan's Truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ryan's Truck

Dorsai
I mentioned the other day that I am going to be helping my brother with this project, so I thought I'd start a thread here to keep track of things. Our patient is a 1995 F-250 XLT:

The project is still evolving, but so far it looks like this:

• 5.9L Cummins diesel swap, from the stock 5.8L engine
  • 47RH transmission
  • 4WD conversion, with a D60 front axle
  • Complete interior redo, from gray cloth to tan leather
  • Probably some other things I don't know about yet
The end goal is a truck that can easily haul that Kubota in the background around, as well as pontoon boats and sailboats. My first task is to see if I can build a controller for that 47RH transmission, which needs to be able to process throttle position and vehicle speed as inputs, and activate the torque converter lockup and OD lockout as outputs. I know some of you have used Arduinos in your trucks, have any of you done something like this? There's plenty of information online on the topic, but I'd be interested in your experiences as well.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ryan's Truck

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm watching with interest Matthew!

I've never built a tranny controller, but I know Bill and Gary have software.
You might also look to Jonathan, who has bought a (gutted) Cummins swap F450.

You might have some sundry parts (mounts, crossmember) or wisdom there?

Anyway, I'm subscribed and following!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Can't wait to see the progress on this one. There's a couple guys here who can help you with the D60 swap for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Gary fellow is following as well.  But I've never touched an actual Arduino.  Don't have one nor do I have it in the truck - yet.  But I've written the software for it and run it on a simulator.  It works!

As for the D60, yep a few of us have done that.

Also, I have the 1995 factory shop manual so if you need info just let me know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
See?  I knew I could count on you guys.

Gary, don't I recall you making an air/fuel ratio meter of some kind a while back?  I could have sworn you did it with an Arduino, but clearly I must be hallucinating.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You've combined two things.  I used an Edelbrock narrow-band AFR meter and put the display where the PRNDL is on an auto when I put the ZF5 in Dad's truck.  Later I put a wide-band on Dad's truck and then Rusty.

And I designed and wrote the code for an Arduino to convert a Bricknose sender's output to use on Bullnose gauges.  Just haven't built it yet.  But now that I have Bricknose senders in Big Blue.....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I didn't know about the Bricknose/Bullnose thing until just now, so I haven't the faintest idea why I thought you did the AFR stuff with an Arduino.

At any rate, this will finally give me an excuse to do something with an Arduino...I've had one for years, but after I got a Raspberry Pi I never did anything with it.  I'm just glad it still works!
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can see my plans here: Bricknose Sender To Bullnose Gauge Interface.  And that Arduino Developer App might help you.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Yep, I'm downloading that app right now.  Thanks!
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Also, I have the 1995 factory shop manual so if you need info just let me know.
Gary, does that shop manual include electrical diagrams, or is that a separate manual?  We'd like to reuse the overdrive lockout button in the truck if possible, so if you have any info on how that's wired (or even what the wire colors are) that would be very helpful.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matthew - The FSM doesn't have much electrical, but in the section on the E4OD I see some circuitry.  And the FSM has a section on the 4R70W.  But you are using a 47RH.  So would either of these sections help?

Also, I have a '96 EVTM and can put pages up from it.  Maybe that's what you need?

In that I see that the Transmission Control Switch has a red/yellow feeding it power, a tan/white that tells the PCM that the button has been pushed, and a white/light green that controls the LED which "Indicates that 4th gear has been disengaged.  May also flash if monitored sensor/acutators or circuits have failed."

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
I forgot to say that, yes Rogue Wulff is a member here although I haven't seen him in quite some time.

I don't recall how many other Fummins owners/builders there on the forum
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Missed any comment about Paul/Rogue_Wulff.  He doesn't live all that far from me in Sapulpa.  He hasn't been on for a while but I do need to contact him to remind him about the show.  Is there a question for him?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
He'd certainly be an asset in the planning and completion of this project!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just texted Paul a link to both the show and this thread.  We shall see.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you Gary!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
Also, I have a '96 EVTM and can put pages up from it. Maybe that's what you need? In that I see that the Transmission Control Switch has a red/yellow feeding it power, a tan/white that tells the PCM that the button has been pushed, and a white/light green that controls the LED which "Indicates that 4th gear has been disengaged. May also flash if monitored sensor/acutators or circuits have failed."
Sounds like that's exactly what I need. In fact, you may have given me everything I need here already - I had neglected to ask about the LED, but we're hoping to use that as well since we'd like to avoid goobering up the dash with a bunch of additional switches and lights.

Actually...would it be too much trouble to throw up the page(s) that cover the switch and light? You've probably told me everything I should know, but sometimes it helps to just look at a picture.

Oh - and as for Paul, the main question I had for him was regarding what front suspension changes, if any, he made to handle the Cummins. It could be moot for all I know - I haven't actually looked up the weights of the engines in question yet. Of course any other insight he has from his experience would be welcome as well.

And speaking of the transmission, James picked it from from KY this weekend:

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man!  That is one looooooooong combination!  And I thought an E4OD was long.  You'd best take some measurements to see that you can get it under there.  I know on Dad's truck I had to mod the floor as the E4 was too long for a Bullnose regular cab.  Hopefully it'll fit under a Supercab.

As for the schematics, I can do that tomorrow.  No problemo.

On the springs, I think Paul said that the replacement springs he put under it earlier worked.  But I'd have to go back to FTE to find that info.  Maybe Paul will come on and answer the question.  But he replaced a 300 with the diesel.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Firewall mods are a given with the Cummins.

And that combo is sure to weigh a ton (literally)

Gary, you went into a microanalisys about front springs.
Can you link it?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
Man!  That is one looooooooong combination!  And I thought an E4OD was long.  You'd best take some measurements to see that you can get it under there.
That was my first thought as well.  
Matthew
Atlanta GA