classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Runs but doesn't start

Littlebeefy
Hi all,
We were able to get the 460 running last night, but not via the ignition switch. It will run with the key in RUN, but bumping the START position does not send any power down the red/blue wire to the solenoid (it's circuit 32).

There is no more EEC. I tore all of that out. It's all running on the Edelbrock and MSD equipment and wiring, and is pulling power in RUN from the fat yellow wire (circuit 37). We can start it by triggering the starter solenoid off the battery directly, so the only problem we are having is getting the red/blue circuit working on START.

I believe it must be one of two things causing the problem: the ignition switch or the clutch switch (it's a manual). I'm going to try a different ignition switch and I'm going to jump the clutch switch to see if I can confirm that either of those are the issue.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for areas that I need to troubleshoot that would be causing this problem other than the two switches I'm already investigating?

Thanks
LB
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Runs but doesn't start

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, do you have a tilt steering column?  If so, it is possible that the piece in it is broken keeping the linkage from pulling the ignition switch to Start.  I had that problem with Big Blue.  So put a pair of pliers or vice grips on the link that runs down the column to the switch and pull up on it when the key is in Start.  But make sure the tranny is in neutral and the e-brake is set!

The other good possibility is the clutch switch.  You can bypass it by installing a fuse in the connector that plugs into the switch.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I am using a tilt column. I have it dropped down from the dash and am seeing the rod and ignition switch move the way I would expect; however to eliminate the rod and the ignition switch itself as the problem, I am going to test everything with a another complete fixed column that I know works (luckily I happen to have that).

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan, Stan.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Similar to what you mentioned, Gary. The ignition switch wasn’t lined up properly on the column so the rod wasn’t engaging the start position in the circuit. Problem solved.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  I love a story with a good ending!