classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RockAuto

Gary Lewis
Administrator
RockAuto sells parts for vehicles.  If you've had dealings with them please rate their service, price, etc as well as write a review if you are so inclined.
How would you rate RockAuto?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: RockAuto

Gary Lewis
Administrator
At one time I swore off RA because they sent me the wrong heater core - in spite of me calling and asking specifically that they pull the core from the box and ensure it was the right one.  That was because the manufacturer was putting the wrong core in the right box.  They agreed to do that but didn't and I got the wrong one.  Then they would only give me a store credit - even though it was their fault.  Plus, they didn't have the right core in stock to ship to me.

However, subsequently I've learned that their catalog is an excellent tool with which to find parts.  And their prices are pretty good, although Amazon frequently beats them.  But returns are still a problem, so I'm only giving them a 4-star rating.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've only ordered from them twice IIRC but service, parts selection, and speed of shipping was top notch in my humble opinion and I would order from them again when the occasion arises.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Another big fan of RockAuto here. I've ordered from them a lot.

They're especially good if you need a whole bunch of same brand items. I always like to use Moog as an example. I would never order just a single tie-rod end from them as once the shipping is added, I can buy it locally for the same. But...if you need 4 ball joints, and tie-rods, and drag-link, then buying them all together shipped from the same warehouse, it's a good deal...at least for me. They get two thumbs up from me.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
All well and good Cory *IF they're shipping from the same warehouse!*

But if you wanted that list and it was two from TX, and one from Ohio, and another from....
You're screwed on shipping and you never know until you're in checkout.

Their prices are rock bottom on some things because of all their closeout inventory, bought from defunct chains, stores and warehouses.

Definitely NOT the place to buy one item, but an unusually wide selection and I like their 'Good, Better, Best' way of grouping applications.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
All well and good Cory *IF they're shipping from the same warehouse!*
Ya, that's the catch. I've ordered from them a lot actually, but I have to be careful what I order so as to not get the shipping screwed up. You can play around with the items sometimes and get them arranged better, but not always.

The difference for me up here is availability...we simply do not have access to the same kind of inventory sitting in US warehouses. There are some items, even popular brands too (like Dorman, for example) that I have not been able to buy locally, and had to order from RockAuto.

And the pricing too. I'll bet that there are items on RockAuto where you might save 10-15% over buying locally in CT, but those same items might be 50% cheaper for me...but the catch is that the shipping is much more...lol.

A lot of our cross border prices had to change after 2008 when our dollars hit par, but the exchange rate is not good for us these days.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I received an order from Rock Auto this week with a damaged item. It was a 1pc oil pan gasket for SBF, and oddly in was broken in the packaging. Kind of odd, because the packaging was not marked or damaged in any way at all, but the gasket was definitely broken. I didn't even have to open it.

I started a warranty/return claim, and they ended up sending me a new one, all the way from California no less. I don't have to return the old one or do anything, they're just sending the new one and told me to hang on to the old one for two weeks in case they do ask for it.

Took me all of 2 minutes online, and within 24 hrs I had an email saying a new gasket was on the way.

I thought it was going to be a pain, but it ended up working out being simple and easy. (Likely because it was a cheap item, but still).

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In today's "world", that is a refreshing story, Cory!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Hopefully RA is making their returns easier. Good to hear.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona