classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rewiring map/dome light and seatbelt warning

Littlebeefy
Hi all,
I’m trying to trim out some wiring from my harness and keep the map/dome light working. At the same time I’d like to also trick my seatbelt warning light into thinking the seatbelt is always on.

Coming to the drivers side B pillar at the floorboard I have a connector below:

It has a black wire with a blue stripe, a black wire with a pink stripe, and a green wire with a yellow stripe.

Next to the connector is a black wire with an eyelet that looks suspiciously like a ground. Also extending from that same portion of the harness is a two wire connector with both wires pink:

Leading to the portion of the harness that heads up the B pillar to the dome light, I have a green wire, a black wire and a black and pink striped “jumper” wire:

My goal is to connect everything at the bottom of the B Pillar and trim out the rest of the harness going to the cargo light.

What do I need to splice to the black and green/yellow wires that run to the dome light? Is there also a way to connect this harness to trick the seatbelt warning light into turning off (is that what the pink wires are)?

Thanks
LB
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rewiring map/dome light and seatbelt warning

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chad - I got a bit lost.  Are you doing away with the cargo light?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
For the seatbelt buzzer what about just disconnecting the connector at the bottom of the drivers seat belt?

I haven't ever looked at the wiring for a Bronco until now so still trying to make sense of the 'only' situations but it appears at the bottom of the B pillar there is an add-in circuit (C202 and C202A) that you can eliminate and that would remove the cargo lamp.

Additionally, I wouldn't cut any wires myself. Either remove a connector if a dedicated harness or remove the wire and pin from the connector. This allows you to cleanly add it back if ever desired.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
@Gary - I'm getting rid of the cargo light.

@Scott - The old seatbelt retractor is gone. I replaced it with a new aftermarket unit. I don't even see what it plugged into in the first place when it was there.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The seatbelt connector is actually on the latch side at the very bottom where it bolts to the floor of the cab. Is there a connector there still connected? It's a thin, 2 prong connector.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Scott,
My assumption when stretching out the portion of the harness that leaves the B pillar is that the two pink wires with the small two prong connector in the original post was the seatbelt connector. It's about the right lengthy and it's the only thing there other than the lighting wiring.

If that is the connector, and that warning light turns off when the seatbelt switch circuit is closed, can I just jump those two wires together?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am not positive on what that 2 prong connector with the pink/Gr(?) is. The only place I recall pink/gr is on the power lock circuit. That connector isn't the same as a pickup seatbelt one and kind of looks like what I recall the speaker connectors as looking like but definitely not those. I'd need to trace that one back to know what it is for. I could see it plugging into the back of a light fixture but am not seeing that color match any lights in the evtm.

Could it be part of the tailgate power window?

The seatbelt circuit is 'Open With Belt Buckled' so you would need to prevent the connection from being made. Do you see a Brown/Light Blue wire anywhere? It will be coming from the drivers kick panel like the rest of what you are looking at.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Here is what I am referring to on the cargo light elimination. It looks like the part I have red X'd out is a jumper circuit so you can disconnect both ends of it and then the other two ends with the green arrows can connect directly together. This is similar to how the speed control is added in.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
@Scott,
You’re right about a couple of things. First off, that section of the harness that you pruned out can be removed at the connections. Now I just have to fix that green and yellow wire #annoying. Also, those two pink wires go to one of the rear speakers. I found the other one with pink and green wires for the passenger side speaker too. So your instincts were right on the look of that connector.

I looked for and found the brown/blue and black wire connector that theoretically plugged into the seatbelt receiver. It’s not connected to anything and I’m still getting the seatbelt warning. What does that mean?

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Good deal. Guess one shouldn't say 'definitely not'  Wasn't thinking about the Bronco having rear speakers...

You're sure it's the seatbelt buzzer? Does it buzz briefly and then go silent?

I may have missed it but what is wrong with the green/yellow wire?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
@Scott - Buzzer is inop. It's just the seatbelt warning light on the dash that stays on all the time.

Now I'm thinking of the obvious: that black wire with the eyelet that looks suspiciously like a ground isn't actually hooked up to the body. Would that cause the light to stay on if no switch is connected? If it's normally closed, wouldn't that cause a constant open circuit and defeat the light instead of activating it or is it the other way around?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The ground you are referring to is likely for the dome lights. In the pickups there is a ground that screws to the B pillar for that harness.

Ok, so no buzzer. In that case we can ignore the connector at the base of the seatbelt (the flat-ish 2 wire you found recently). That circuit is just for the buzzer.
I.E the light and buzzer are somewhat separate although both are tied to the timer.

The light comes on regardless of the seatbelt connected status and according to the EVTM is lit for 4-8 seconds.

I know the dash indicator lights changed positions between some configs but I don't if the seatbelt one did. Just mentioning that as a potential gotcha.

First, I would disconnect the buzzer from its connector (located above the glovebox) and see if the light goes off. If so, it may be an issue with the timer inside the buzzer unit.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If it is the light that is staying on do like most do ............

Pull the bulb
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
@Scott - good call. I'll give that a try and report back.

@Dave - You're right, I could pull the bulb and solve the problem. But that takes the fun out of it. My Bronco is a classroom on wheels for me. Every time I have to fix something I learn something valuable about automotive repair in the process, usually something I didn't know that I didn't know. Pulling the bulb only confirms that an empty socket won't light up. Having said that, at a certain point I will draw the line and just pull the bulb instead of fixing a faulty timer, for example. I certainly appreciate your input, though, and were I just looking to stop the bulb from lighting up, removing it would certainly fit the bill.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle