Revert Holley carb install?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Revert Holley carb install?

taskswap
Hey folks, been lurking for awhile but I'm still here. I just brought Rocky home from storage last night to get some more work done on it over the winter (I've been homesteading all summer, different project). And it reminded me how rough it runs at low RPMs, especially while cold.

Rocky has an aftermarket Holley Street Warrior carb that the P/O installed and I've really struggled to tune it. I've got it more or less to the point where during the summer, it runs and sounds great, but I keep blowing fuses on the electric choke line for reasons I haven't figured out, and during winter (now) it's really hard to start and get idling properly. Once it's warmed up, that goes away, but it always stumbles off the line like at a red light if I don't get it up to like 2000rpm before letting the clutch out. It feels like the low-RPM fuel starvation issue lots of folks have to tune around with poorly-installed Holley's.

I'm sure with more time and effort I could get this thing dialled in, and I'm sure I could also pay somebody to really nail it. But I don't really need this truck to be a "beast," I'd rather more of a daily driver that my wife could use as a backup at this point. She has a lot of experience driving manuals but Rocky is just REALLY "testy" right now.

So now I'm starting to think about reverting to a stock carb. Has anybody here done that and for similar reasons? Is that maybe the best path, or should I keep tuning this since it's already there? Appreciate any thoughts, no stupid ideas. :)
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Revert Holley carb install?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not a Holley fan, but I've never experienced one that was lean off idle.  My experience has been that out of the box they've been rich off idle, leading to a less-than crisp takeoff from a stop.  But if yours is lean have you tried adding more accelerator pump to the mix?  I'd think that would help you see if it is lean or rich.

Do you have a 4bbl intake?  Or do you have a 2-to-4 adapter?  I've not heard good things about those.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, you actually own a Holley that is lean off idle when everything is right. The Chrysler Holleys are set up like that, which between the retarded initial timing on an engine that used to static time at 12.5° BTDC causes at a minimum a stumble, but usually a huge boom in the air cleaner.

Adding some more initial advance might also help also, and check that the advance systems are both working (centrifugal and vacuum).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I beg to differ!  I no longer have that $%^& carb.  But I did as of May, 1969 when I bought a brand new Super Bee.  My first Holley and the one that turned me against them.

Yes, it was lean off idle and everywhere until the power valve opened.  But, after the boom you mentioned the PV was permanently open.  

Turns out that in '68 the 330 HP 383 got the AVS and the 335 HP got the Holley.  But in '69 they reversed it for some reason.  The new Bee we bought in '69 had the 330 HP engine as it had A/C and the Torqueflite, which called for the "smaller" cam to keep the vacuum up at idle.  And, therefore, the dreaded Holley.

However the Bee I have now came out with the 4-speed and the 335 HP engine, therefore has the AVS.

But you are right that I have been around a Holley that is lean.  Rich is better.  Not good, but less bad.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI