Replacement Cruise control cable options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacement Cruise control cable options

ratdude747
On a recent long trip (had to drive for work) my cruise control cable failed internally... wire filaments broke and wadded up, sticking my throttle open.

(There were other frayed sections... debriding the cable didn't work and when I cut and removed it it was messed up all along the cable... )

On top of that, my quick and dirty rest area fix (pop loose the retainer from the throttle cable) didn't work as planned and the bottom of the retainer burnt to a crisp... kinda usable but one good tug and it'll pop off/snap in half.

These cables are unobtainium.... Had it not been for the plastic retainer burning away I'd restring it with a bicycle cable... years ago I did the same trick with bicycle brake cable and housing on a 1995 Ranger with a busted plastic housing stop where I couldn't find the stock 3.0 "long" cable but I could get a "short" 4.0 cable at a JY with the same hardware and I made my own cable out of the two.

I am seeing used servos with cables on them... but there's this cheap one that looks to be a bit short:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144160716228

And then there's this one that would work but is pricey and looks worn

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325367598351

I can find short Tempo/Topaz ones all day long but they're short and the housing stop on the carb side is wrong.

I don't have a complete part manual as the parts list on the site doesn't show a cable for my application (not in the kit at least)... and the other table is speedometer cables, which are not what I need here. It contains "9A825" but all ford cruise cables seem to have that in the part number (even stuff from the 60's and 2000's!)

So, short of burning a ton of money or playing junk yard roulette, I don't know how I'm going to fix this... maybe relace my cable and if blows, it blows? Anybody happen to have a spare cable floating around? Or know of another part number that will work (even if I have to swap throttle cables, the one I got is a cheap  that's broken but functional... never buying pioneer again!).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacement Cruise control cable options

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - You spotted something that we didn't have on the site, but it is now.  But, there's a minor problem or two with it.  First, it is said to be the ACTUATOR ASSY. (SPEED CONTROL), but it also contains the cable - which is detachable.  So, in theory you could replace your cable, but the MPC doesn't show the cable lengths.  Do you know the length of yours?  Maybe someone has one that length?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The housing is looped... but the inner wire end to end (no dog tag/lamp switch chain) is 50.5". Without the loop (vibration allowance?), the housing could be as short as 27.5' (not including the parts covered by the plastic housing ends.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - I'm not sure what you are saying or where you are measuring from, but let's try this.

I have two cables, as shown below.  The one that is still attached to the vacuum unit is 28" from the face where it attaches to the vacuum unit to the mount that attaches to the throttle cable bracket.  And the one that is detached measures 40" there.

But those are different where they attach to the throttle cable bracket, as shown below with the 28" one on top and the 40" one on bottom.

Can you use either of those?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
How does the cable attach inside the vacuum unit?

Lokar sell cables, i got one but have not pulled apart the vacuum unit to try and attach it.

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll take one of the systems apart tomorrow and post a pic, but IIRC there's a ball on the end of the cable and it clips into a slot on the diaphragm.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yes. Ball end on the cable that goes into a keyhole slot.

---

The 28" one would work and has the fittings to connect to things. the other one is the "EFI" style I mentioned earlier... not a direct fit.

The reason I didn't have a good direct measurement is that my housing has a bound loop. I had to do some digging, but I found a pic from last year (when I was documenting deer damage) that shows that loop and the route of the cable:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here are a couple of shots of the "short" cable and how it connects to the diaphragm as well as the carburetor end.

Larry - That cable is yours if you want it, but it isn't perfect.  Note that the outer black sheath has flaked away in one spot.  Also, is the carb end as you need it?  It doesn't have the plastic piece that snaps onto the carb linkage - do you need it?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
If push came to shove I could probably salvage my burnt up plastic piece... worst case, it shatters and I'm back to where I started.

I'll see what I can find in better condition... but the plastic housing jacket being trash isn't a biggie. might be able to strip and plastidip it or something.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - What plastic piece is it that you need?  The one below?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The upper one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I will check, but I think I gave away my last one.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - I do have another of those fittings.  So I plan to send it and the cable to you Monday.  Do I have your address?  If not please text it to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Done. Thanks in advance!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got it and plan to send it Monday.  Will let you know.