Removing the sender clip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Removing the sender clip

IowaTom
Thanks to great suggestions here, I've got the tank down far enough to reach in and disconnect things.
What's the deal on this sender clip?  Hoping someone has been there and knows where I pry to unclip it.
Lord knows, I've broken more than my share of plastic things and would rather put this off until tomorrow to get the right advice.

As I was siphoning down to the last bit I could, my clear hose began to fill with black crud.  Yes!!  I'm thinking this will not be in vain.

Thanks again!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Removing the sender clip

IowaTom
I should have blasted it with Brake Clean before I took the pic, sorry.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Brush, blow or otherwise remove the crud so you can see the clips that hold the plug on.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if you consider that the two wires come out of the plug at 12 o clock then the retainer clip is at 6. pry lightly and wiggle the plug out of position. yes its a P I T A ! very often the clip breaks after this many years. the  plug is available if you do break it.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thanks Guys, I was careful and got the clip off, revealing why my gauge reads empty all the time!

A shot through the hole shows a hideous scene!

After getting the last of the icky gas out & hosing out the tank, I'm letting a gallon of muriatic acid do its thing.  Man, am I glad I dropped this tank!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yuk!  That's awful!  But no wonder the gauge didn't work.  

But you aren't replacing the tank?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it's worth trying to save the tank and even reline it if it's the only option.  however, these are still available, and it really is the best option to replace it.
look at the cost of time and materials of each option, add in the risks involved and then the "difference" is all that you are saving. I just trashed a tank for this same reason last month. and I will try too hard to keep originals sometimes.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I've taken lots of tanks down, cleaned them, painted them & replaced them on several old cars I've owned.
As long as they don't leak or show lots of rust, I don't mind cleaning and reusing.  Besides, I'm a cheapo and would prefer not to spend 3 bills on a new one.  :-)  I've already ordered a new sender with gasket & ring and will get the new filler tube rubber tomorrow.  Yeah, it's work but it's fun.  As my old friend Walt would say, playing with tired iron is cheaper than therapy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, sounds like you know what you are doing.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
You're too kind, Gary...I don't really know what I'm doing.  I just kinda fake it!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I too do this as a rule and have cleaned my share of tanks too. I restore everything possible because let's face it, nothing fits or feels like the originals. even when I do restomods I try to stay with as many oem ford parts as possible. even if I draw from different years. I hate the thought of presenting a restoration with M.I.C stickers all over it
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Ugh...I tried everything I could to clean out this rear tank and there's still lots of crud everywhere.
I called a few places who clean out tanks and they all want more than the one I found on Azamon for just over $100.
So yeah, Gary, I bought a new one!    Will give it a coat of hammered paint when it comes as I doubt the cheap one is galvanized.
Working on a Ford is way cheaper than my Studebakers, when it comes to parts availability.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is easy to spend more money on refurbishing an old tank than buying a new one.  I think you chose wisely.