Remanufactured C6?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Remanufactured C6?

swampedout
I know there was a recent thread about these C6s but I didnt want to crowd it up with my problems so Im starting fresh.

Short story is my transmission is on its last legs...Im going to dump the oil soon and see what improvement that makes but Im not expecting any miracles. Ive really been hard on it and it was in bad shape when I bought the truck a year ago.

So. Anyone bought a remanned C6? I know the parts stores all seem to sell their own brands for around 1,000-1,200 bucks plus core charge.
Im hesitant to go with a local shop but I will be calling around to see their prices.
My third option is rebuilding myself, which Id consider if my job slows down.
My fourth option would be swapping a zf5 in. I know this is the way to go, but I dont have the time...

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well. Feel free to brainstorm/discuss, this is a big decision for me so I want to make sure I think of all the options.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Remanufactured C6?

Rusty_S85
swampedout wrote
I know there was a recent thread about these C6s but I didnt want to crowd it up with my problems so Im starting fresh.

Short story is my transmission is on its last legs...Im going to dump the oil soon and see what improvement that makes but Im not expecting any miracles. Ive really been hard on it and it was in bad shape when I bought the truck a year ago.

So. Anyone bought a remanned C6? I know the parts stores all seem to sell their own brands for around 1,000-1,200 bucks plus core charge.
Im hesitant to go with a local shop but I will be calling around to see their prices.
My third option is rebuilding myself, which Id consider if my job slows down.
My fourth option would be swapping a zf5 in. I know this is the way to go, but I dont have the time...

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well. Feel free to brainstorm/discuss, this is a big decision for me so I want to make sure I think of all the options.
There are quite a few places to get a C6 from reman.  Question is are you looking for a straight stock rebuild or are you looking for something with a few goodies in them.

If you are wanting goodies you have a bit better chance as just about everyone sells reman hotrod C6 transmissions but in stock form your choices are some what more limited.

Me personally I am looking at Broader Performance as I can get a wide ratio planetary C6 from him for $1,850 with no core charge and he is willing to work with me to fine tune the C6 to what I want.  He also isnt very fast as he is a Ford guy that is a prefectionist.

I know this one is a little bit more money than you are looking at but the wide ratio one I personally will be going with includes all the benefits of his non wide ratio standard 750hp C6 which is stated to have the following upgrades.

Several upgrades including 5 clutch forward drum, 5 clutch direct drum, 5 clutch low/rev clutch, high strength rev hub, Carbon/Kevlar band, oiling system improvements, #9 needle bearing kit and performance shift improvers. Direct drum modified for high rpm with anti-rotation spring retainer (stops springs from wrapping up) and high speed bleed orifice (prevents clutch apply in 1st). Forward clutch drum piston is modified to help prevent disc spring failure and clutch pack blow out with higher line pressures. (allows use of higher line pressures and reduces loss of forward gears). F ratio servo lever and matching servo.
The only upgrade for the wide ratio variant.
Best used in trucks and heavy passenger cars wanting more pulling power or acceleration from a stop light. Gear ratios are as follows:
1st 2.75:1 (stock 2.45:1)
2nd 1.54:1 (stock 1.45:1)
3rd 1:1 (stock 1:1)
Other places are as follows.

https://www.monstertransmission.com/C6-Heavy-Duty-Performance-Transmission-2WD-Small-Block_p_5070.html#.YBWLxnOSmUk

We have installed a Monster Transmission at work, they swear they install your transmission in one of many test vehicles they have on hand and they verify proper function with actual drive time.  I thought of going with them myself but they never got back with me on if they could recalibrate the governor so I can have a 5,000 - 5,500 rpm wide open throttle shift point.  They also never got back on me if they could install a specific output shaft, I did the math and found out how many teeth I need on the output shaft to give me a driven gear option for 3.00:1 and 3.25:1 axle ratios to correct my speedometer.

You also have TCI as an option which personally I wouldnt use but many people I know swear by them.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Why wouldnt you go with TCI?

Im house hunting right now, so most of my $$ is being saved for that so Im basically looking for a budget option I can drop in. The performance upgrades would definitely be worth it in the long run but right now I couldnt justify it.

Thanks for your insights!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
swampedout wrote
Why wouldnt you go with TCI?

Im house hunting right now, so most of my $$ is being saved for that so Im basically looking for a budget option I can drop in. The performance upgrades would definitely be worth it in the long run but right now I couldnt justify it.

Thanks for your insights!
Many things, TCI I have seen people come in through work that bought TCI products and they just had nothing but problems with them, Ive also heard their customer service isnt that great as well.  I personally have no first hand experience with them but I wouldnt go with them cause I have seen enough complaining about them that I wouldnt want to take the risk of buying from them.

My converter is coming from Hughes, its the brand we use at work and we've never had a problem with them.  They are pricy but they are quality converters.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you haven't, before I gave up on a tranny I'd drain it, inc the torque converter, and refill with new fluid.  I've seen that help significantly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
If you haven't, before I gave up on a tranny I'd drain it, inc the torque converter, and refill with new fluid.  I've seen that help significantly.
Same here, I did that to mine it helped with the inconsistent down shifting but I also adjusted my band as it was never adjusted before since we had the truck.

Still in my case it didnt fix the some 18% slip in the transmission how ever and I am sure it wont survive long behind my new engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I will drain and refill and see where that gets me. Buy Im at the point where I need to coax the truck from a stop sign. If I give it gas like I normally would(and I dont have a heavy foot), it hops until I let off and go easy again.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems