10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Refurbishing a 1985 F150 5.0 EFI

sgauvry
Hello all!

This is my first post here.

I'm a 62 year old that owns a 1985 F150 5.0 EFI.  If you know the second half of the year 1985 F150, you'll know that was Ford's first EFI 150.  You'll also know if was wrought with issues.  Now, as this truck is old, those issues have become magnified.  

Over the last several years, the engine has had a rebuild minus the camshaft, crankshaft and pistons as they were all on very good condition. Nearly everything else in the engine compartment is relatively new. However, most of the wiring is original, the ECM is from a junkyard (but seems to function well), the tranny lines are original as are the brake lines and fuel lines.  Nearly everything on the chassis and frame are original.

The cab is in serious need of a good sanding, new metal in the cab corners, a new windshield and possible repair where there is rust and meal deterioration around the top of the window, a priming, and paint job.

The frame needs to be cleaned and powder coated, and there are no visible cracks or breaks in it.  

I am considering a total redo of the cab, upgrades to the chassis, new brake and tranny lines, new fuel lines, and so forth to bring this 85 into 2017.  

This project will be quite an undertaking and as I am handicapped, even moreso.  As it has always been my hope to give this truck to my son, I'm finding it hard to part with it and just scrap it.  And having a customization shop do it (and there are some really good ones around here as I am close to Carlisle where they have the car shows) will be cost prohibitive.  

If I actually do venture into this project, Gary's Garagemahal and this forum will be very helpful, I am sure.  I will keep you all posted and will liely have an abundance of questions. 
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Refurbishing a 1985 F150 5.0 EFI

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steven - Welcome!  You’ve come to the right place for support.

By the way, we used to live in Kennett Square, which is ~100 miles from Carlisle, and was there for the Chrysler show many, many times. So I know that area pretty well.

Anyway, I would suggest that you start a thread/topic in either the general section or the projects section to kick around ideas with the folks about your project. This area is usually used for intro’s, like you’ve done and not in-depth discussions about project ideas, problems, etc. But, there are no rules, so to each his own. 😎

Again, welcome!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks!!

Steven A. Gauvry
4918 Shasta Way
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

[hidden email]

The law stirs the mud at the bottom of the pool, and proves how foul the waters are. The law compels the man to see that sin dwelleth in him, and that it is a powerful tyrant over his nature. All this is with a view to his cure. God be thanked when the Law so works as to take off from the sinner all confidence in himself! To make the leper confess that he is incurable is going a great way toward compelling him to go to that divine Saviour, who alone is able to heal him. This is the object and end of the Law toward men whom God will save.

SPURGEON

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Steven - Welcome!  You’ve come to the right place for support.

By the way, we used to live in Kennett Square, which is ~100 miles from Carlisle, and was there for the Chrysler show many, many times. So I know that area pretty well.

Anyway, I would suggest that you start a thread/topic in either the general section or the projects section to kick around ideas with the folks about your project. This area is usually used for intro’s, like you’ve done and not in-depth discussions about project ideas, problems, etc. But, there are no rules, so to each his own. 😎

Again, welcome!
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Refurbishing-a-1985-F150-5-0-EFI-tp3738p3741.html
To unsubscribe from Refurbishing a 1985 F150 5.0 EFI, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  I like the looks of your truck!
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thank you!

Steven A. Gauvry
4918 Shasta Way
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

[hidden email]

The law stirs the mud at the bottom of the pool, and proves how foul the waters are. The law compels the man to see that sin dwelleth in him, and that it is a powerful tyrant over his nature. All this is with a view to his cure. God be thanked when the Law so works as to take off from the sinner all confidence in himself! To make the leper confess that he is incurable is going a great way toward compelling him to go to that divine Saviour, who alone is able to heal him. This is the object and end of the Law toward men whom God will save.

SPURGEON

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:11 AM, 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome to the forum!  I like the looks of your truck!

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Refurbishing-a-1985-F150-5-0-EFI-tp3738p3744.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by sgauvry
Welcome to the group. Nice looking truck sir! If you need one I think I still have an extra left over from my son's 86 F150 5.0L, I have no use for it. He used to bring it to Carlisle for the Ford events and last few years has driven his Excursion.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by sgauvry
Hello again Steve, you sure stay at, good on you.....
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Not sure I have it in me anymore. Might do it, might not. Depends on health.  I don't want to scrap it, but not sure i have the capacity to see it through. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: "vjsimone [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]>
Date: 11/23/17 1:26 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: sgauvry <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Refurbishing a 1985 F150 5.0 EFI

Hello again Steve, you sure stay at, good on you.....

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Refurbishing-a-1985-F150-5-0-EFI-tp3738p4491.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's to good health and continuing our projects.  

Hang in there, Steve.  Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one and you get to enjoy the truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thank you, Gary!  Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Steven A. Gauvry
4918 Shasta Way
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

[hidden email]

SPURGEON

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's to good health and continuing our projects.  

Hang in there, Steve.  Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one and you get to enjoy the truck.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Trick Flow intake & EEC-IV SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Refurbishing-a-1985-F150-5-0-EFI-tp3738p4508.html
NAML